neGcon in viva nonno

I'm trying to use my Namco neGcon on viva nonno (for Rave Racer mostly).

After some fiddling with the code I managed to get the neGcon (and the buttons I wanted) to recognise on the control test screen (accessed in the rom by holding down 'q' and pressing 't'). On this screen all axes are shown to be working properly, but upon putting in a coin, the gas pedal won't select anything and the only thing I can control is 'music select up' and 'gear shift up'.

When the select time runs out and the game starts up, obviously it's still the same... no pedals working (and because I can't accelerate I can't find out if the steering works either).

The code I'm running for the emulator's set-up is as follows (the green bit is the control code but I thought you might need to see the other stuff, just in case):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<root version="2"><general><graphics texture_format="1" texture_reduction="0" gamma_correction="0.650000" black_level="0.000000" white_level="1.000000" frame_skip="0" no_wait="0" show_fps="0" interlace="0" interlace_level="96" texture_filtering="0" depth_bias="1" texture_mipmap="0"/><sound enable_sound="1" playback_freq="44100" buffer_size="200" volume="0.500000"/><control><joystick><axis handle="X" gas="RZ" brake="Z"/><button coin1="8" coin2="9" clutch="4" shift1="12" shift2="14" shift3="15" shift4="13" shift_up="7" shift_down="6" test="0" service="1" view_change="5" pause="11"/></joystick><keyboard><axis/><button/></keyboard></control></general><game><RidgeRacer/><RidgeRacer2 no_time_up="0" system_type="0"/><RaveRacer/></game></root>

I've searched all over the Internet for help with this to no avail, so I really hope someone here can assist. I'm guessing it's something quite simple.

Edited by hi_resurrection