Comcast starts 250GB bandwidth caps on October 1

Gryph

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't really complain, it could be a lot worse such as the ISP I have to use being in the boonies and all. Try these caps on for size and woah, look at the prices too:

http://go.gethughesnet.com/plans.cfm

http://go.gethughesnet.com/fapolicy.cfm?hf=0

Take note of the daily threshold or else a Fair Access Policy goes into effect. Once they throttle you it lasts for 24 hours, Once you Fap you are stuck with sub dial up speeds for 24 hours, and don't expect to load any web pages, do any downloads or uploads, FTP doesn't work at all in Fap.

Also their customer support is nearly non-existent and quite crappy, run by a bunch of untrained Indian jockies who will make you swear a bunch of Chimpanzees could do a better job. They also alter your contract later on and lower your limits even more. They have royally screwed customers in tech visit fees when something goes wrong with the system.

Also the cancellation fee if you cancel before your contract is up is quite hefty at $300 - $400. Oh you don't get a static ip by default (Additional $10/mo) and are permanently firewalled so no torrents or P2P unless you want to deal with painstakingly slow downloads, although Frostwire works quite well.

Double billing among a ton of other problems are to be had with this company/isp.

However it is better than dial-up even if slightly and allows me to download files faster than dial-up and load web pages faster despite the ridiculously low limits. There's not much choice in the boonies/country, it's either that or dial-up. :|

NONE of you should be complaining until youve dealt with DSL =[

what's wrong with it?

net monitoring isnt that bad if you are careful...

I live in a campus dorm at the moment and i have a 2 gb bandwidth cap per day, which by itself isnt that bad as i usually never exceed it (although i can get it to be 1.99 gb per day....) The only bad part is that if i want to dl a game/movie that is over 2 gb, then i have to do it over several days which is a pain, especially when new stuff comes out...

what's wrong with it?

It's slow and it drops sometimes, well at least my DSL service did. It was completely unreliable.

250gb bandwidth caps are reasonable. I don't think anyone could hit that limit really unless they're really trying to but hell I have a 250mb cap per day so I rather have Comcast's thing than mine.

Have you checked the ISP I have to use in my last post, much worse than DSL or Cable not to mention you are throttled between 4PM - 12PM EST at a whopping 100 kb/s and on average between those time you get to download files or browse web pages at a whole 15 - 30Kb/s, speed depends on how congested the network is and may vary.

Keep in mind its not how much you download its how much you download/upload its total traffic per month. So lets says you download 100 gb of data and seed to a 1:1 ratio thats 200 gb right there.

Yes im on comcast yes this sux

there won't be a ratio of 1:1 well unless you actually seed torrents or something.

Keep in mind its not how much you download its how much you download/upload its total traffic per month. So lets says you download 100 gb of data and seed to a 1:1 ratio thats 200 gb right there.

Yes im on comcast yes this sux

there won't be a ratio of 1:1 well unless you actually seed torrents or something.

some of us actually seed back what we download, I know it's a hard concept to grasp. I upload double what I download easily, I keep a 2:1 or better ratio on the soup and blackcats at all times.

If Time Warner were to do this I'd be in major trouble quickly. not to mention youtube, streaming movies, xbox live traffic. 250gb isn't a lot in these times.