Comcast starts 250GB bandwidth caps on October 1

Gryph

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sh!t I'm on Comcast, not saying this sucks because I've probably only ever once gone over that limit when d/ling straight up rom/iso packs for over 2 weeks, but now that the limit is there I'll feel cautious when pressing that d/l button now.

Even so, so far this month, I've d/led all the seasons of scrubs, about 10 movies, about 20 albums, and currently downloading about 20 gigs of Dreamcast games. I can tell you right now, that isn't even 100 gigs, and the month is but a few days away from ending.

Its not the cap that worries me, its that the cap will probably decrease and you will have to pay per gig of bandwidth you use soon...

Also...comcast also throttles their connections if they feel that you have excessive traffic...

I hate comcast, but there are no other services in my area... :|

What do you use to monitor your bandwidth? I've never done that.

My math skills? Lol, on a side note all my Utorrent d/ls are still on screen and I can tell how many gigs I've got down.

If Comcast knows psychology (they should they advertise everywhere) then gym's right and it'll be a few years before we see this limit hit 100gb, and eventually 50gb, so on so fourth. Then when a douche invests a bunch of dinero on buying out Comcast we'll see "Pay by Gigabyte" plans spread out like Cell Phone companies tell you 10 minutes of a conversation through the air waves is worth 10 dollars.

What do you use to monitor your bandwidth? I've never done that.

My math skills? Lol, on a side note all my Utorrent d/ls are still on screen and I can tell how many gigs I've got down.

If Comcast knows psychology (they should they advertise everywhere) then gym's right and it'll be a few years before we see this limit hit 100gb, and eventually 50gb, so on so fourth. Then when a douche invests a bunch of dinero on buying out Comcast we'll see "Pay by Gigabyte" plans spread out like Cell Phone companies tell you 10 minutes of a conversation through the air waves is worth 10 dollars.

Ah, I thought you had a more precise method. I can add too. But I use more bandwidth outside of downloading torrents like streaming video.

I'm on Comcast and honestly I've never downloaded that much in a month. I wish I could switch ISP's however Comcast is the only provider here so far.

Yeah, it sucks not having any choice. Maybe Verizon FiOS will come here...lol it's never coming here.

Gryph, use DU Meter. A great little app for monitoring bandwidth usage. It can be set to monitor different adaptors, break down usage hourly, monthly whatever, warn when a specified limit has been reached, display current in/out speed and more. Great stuff.

Netlimiter is good for precisely what was just referred to. You can set app based throttling, time constraints (max kb/s at certain hours for instance). Mind you I haven't used it in a few years, so who knows if it is still around or even any good anymore.