Hacker Runs Blu-ray Backups From Hard Drive On PS3

Alpha

well you figure any multiplatform game is only gonna be 8.5 gb max, as that's the 360's capacity. unless devs just lazily don't compress the ps3 versions.

well with a larger disk format there is no need to compress as it would only make the game run slower.

true, compressed on top of the slow as 2x bluray drive in the ps3 would make loading unbearable.

This only works for older games. I for one don't really want to copy games, but rather see homebrew (emulators) or full access to the graphic card on linux.

Exactly. That's all I want for now. Maybe the ability to dump PSOne and PS2 games to the HDD... but not PS3 games, not yet at least.

Exactly. That's all I want for now. Maybe the ability to dump PSOne and PS2 games to the HDD... but not PS3 games, not yet at least.

Im glad no 360 owners took that the wrong way. Mentioning 360, I think its the only of the three current consoles now that doesn't have a major exploit available for it(?).

Mentioning 360, I think its the only of the three current consoles now that doesn't have a major exploit available for it(?).

No the 360 has been hacked for backups for years now. still no sign of homebrew or emulation though.

Mentioning 360, I think its the only of the three current consoles now that doesn't have a major exploit available for it(?).

No the 360 has been hacked for backups for years now. still no sign of homebrew or emulation though.

Yea, and the main homebrew scene for the PS3 is all based on Linux. Now we have the BD-Java support... but really, how far do you think they can go with that?

• 5 months later...

Cinder is right, although most of the PS3 games are even smaller than the 6gb! There is alot of compressed dummy files and padding.. Unbelievable amounts really. The backup method here will work but there are only select games from small companies that you are able to do this with. I don't have a huge library of PS3 titles, but from dumps of Oblivion, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Bloodshot2, Rockband2, and Motorstorm. There is a file header that has an odd difference in code, it's similar to the dumps of PS3 firmware updates. The games have some file that generates a small random code string that is verified by the PS3, it's signed by Sony somewhat like driver signing with PC drivers. The exception is without a custom firmware is that the PS3 doesn't allow running unsigned or third party code. I guess it's a piece of the development kit. But yea if you have a precise dump of a title that is a smaller company's release, and the original disc to run long enough to get past the security check it will work, but it's not even 40% success rate I don't think. Games can freeze before you get anywhere, or freeze in the middle of play.. or don't load at all.

So until I find something concrete in from of backups I'm not traumatizing my PS3 anymore. I've already nearly bricked it numerous times. I think I'm just gonna watch for something substantial to be developed. Or for someone to get a driver for the RSX driver for the PS3 linux releases.

If Dark_Alex and M33 would just put out a custom firmware for PS3 like the PSP, we would all be in for great things!

*edit* I think the Blu-Ray java tricks may open up the door for other things, I've also wondered if games that support cross platform mods could be a key. Like Unreal Tournament III, if you could make the exploit thru a homemade level for other mod.

Software modding of the Xbox used save exploits from Siphon Filter, MechAssault ect. Could be possible

Edited by Danyael