Hacker Runs Blu-ray Backups From Hard Drive On PS3

Alpha

From our affiliate, Exophase:

ps31ln8.jpg

According to internet reports, a hacker going by the alias SKFU has managed to run a Blu-ray disc backup on the PS3. Details are sketchy and the actual hack has yet to be released, but at minimum you’ll need a 60GB hard drive and original disc in order to pull this off, along with a “special” dump of the game you want to run from HDD.

The author further notes that the hack does work without issue on the latest PS3 firmware (2.42) and three games have been tested successfully thus far, one of those being Warhawk. We’ll refrain from commenting on the obvious legal implications of this hack. One thing is for sure, Sony will likely release a firmware patching the flaw as soon as possible.

Source: http://www.ps3-sense.nl/showthread.php/upd...ion-3-1964.html

What do you think?

I always find these YouTube videos shady, my excitement isn't there because I don't have a PS3, and I really have to see it in person to believe it.

YouTube videos aren't enough proof for me, until I see some de-facto multimedia websites verifying it, I won't believe it.

Mathieulh and Dark_Alex have confirmed this isn't a fake. But they HAVE stated it's a very inconvenient and not 100% method.

At 60 gigs, who is going to be interested?

Some PS3 models come with a 60GB drive, and putting your own in that is substantially larger is inexpensive.

if it becomes easy to do. and hard to fix by sony, then I might be interested. but knowing sony, it will be a firmware war, like on the PSP.

This is going to be horrible in a way. Now I will have to do hours of research online trying to find the smallest games to rip to my HDD. I am so glad I own MGS4. I wonder though, will this negate the option to install the game, or will that have to be done as well? Most games are programmed to access data on the HDD... I really do wonder how this will work?

That was Sony's plan in preventing piracy.

Using Blu Ray format, so not more than two games can be ripped to the HDD, if it ever became possible.

Yeah but a lot of the games aren't anywhere near full BD size. Not to mention that if they can somehow compress the audio/video files to 'normal' levels then a lot is possible with 60GB.