360 vs Who?

All sorts of arguments one way or the other have streamed passed most forums. It's only natural. Even had a thread by Black Night, just reporting on the firm opinion of the hardware, from whoever it was form Id, or whatever. Sorry, that wasn't quite descriptive enough, but you get the point.

I do not know if anyone has said this, but I'll go ahead and say it anyway.

This is something I noticed when I was watching the Microsoft presentation at E3. This of course is my opinion, but I am about to bring up some really valid points. I am no market annalist, I'm not a professional. But I am a hardcore gamer. Do not let that gamertag on my signature fool you. I know its alittle light in the score department. I don't have a 360 yet. I waited and waited, until the time I could make the best decision. And that decision has been made. It was made a while ago, but recent events absolutely sealed the deal for me. I feel the 360 has the superior edge. In every respect. More games, better network yadda yadda yadda. It's not what I think that matters at all. The reason for this thread, is NOT to flame PS3. The point will soon follow...

I turn 30 this year... and I got my NES when it first came out, at age 7. Perfect age... In my time, I have seen about everything. Back in the day, it wasn't as big... video gaming as a whole that is. And here we are now, in an age where Video games are #1 in the entertainment business. If I am inaccurate, it is easy to see why. Video games gross more than music, and box office. I know music has a significant chunk taken out due to illegal downloading... in which practically everyone is guilty of, and once a movie comes out, I can find in online somewhere or another. So perhaps a contributing factor in it's (the video game industry) dominance, is the rarity of illegal game acquisition. Coupled with the fact, that we cant play with/or against each other with hacked systems and such... (to my knowledge)

The point is... there was and is some MAJOR cash being made by this industry.

Here is where my view comes in. You gotta look at the total systems sold first. Here is a report off of TG Daily.

npdjune2008numberscumulok7.jpg As you see here, its 2/1 360 vs PS3.

For sake of argument, the market is kinda like a cup. A full cup represents 100% of the market obviously. But 1 cup only represents one console... in this case. So when someone makes a decision on 1 console, water is transfered from one cup to the next. Where one succeeds, it takes away from the others. In this case, 2 to 1. On average, someone only buys one console. So PS3 is obviously loosing out on console sales to Microsoft. And since 360 had one hell of a head start, once PS3 launched, there were 2nd gen games being released for the 360. All the more incentive for someone to purchase a 360 at the time... plain and simple, more games. But the point here, is Microsoft raked in major cash on units sold alone.

What did Microsoft do with their money?!?!?! This is the clincher. They invested in the 360 even further. With their E3 presentation, we learned that they boast 1000 games available total, by the end of the year. They added new networks for the TV show downloads, From Sci Fi to ESPN. They currently have alittle bit of EVERYTHING!!! And Alot of the choices also have HD versions too, at a slightly higher price. I just looked, and they have 504 movies available currently. They are always changing what they have in the marketplace, so looking every so often, is a good idea. Sometimes they have free movie downloads too. When Ninja Gaiden came out recently, they had a few ninja movies downloadable, free of charge. Sure they were cheesy, but who cares, they were free. A good opportunity to catch a movie you might have otherwise never saw. It's just an extra perk, and I like it. And for those with a Netflix account, you can access a movie from a list that is said to exceed 10,000 titles, and watch it instantly. Thats enormous news...

Another point I will make, is the marketplace itself... It is always updated. It is never stagnant. There are demos available for the newest releases. Not for everything, but enough to keep you in the know. And there are some really awesome games available on the market place right now, and in the near future. First and foremost, I will mention Geometry Wars 2. I never got to play much of the first one, but I absolutely love this sequel. Different game modes that keep the game fresh, and the pace has been raised significantly. This game is a shooting fans dream in my opinion, and a steal at what... 10 bucks? Hells yea! What else... Bionic Commando Rearmed comes out next Wednesday. This is the marketplace one of course. It's a remade version of the 'ole 8bit masterpiece. It's also gonna be 10 bucks. I intend to get it, when I actually buy a 360. Not to mention the actual sequel to Bionic Commando is due out this year. But back to marketplace games... There is a new puzzle game called Braid. I played the demo. And It was refreshing. Don't understand why it is 15 dollars, but whatever. The game is receiving accolades all over the net. It really makes you think. That alone is worth it... in my opinion. I just hate it when things are obvious... you know. Even if you solve a problem quickly... you still had to devote brain power to figure it out. Thats what is needed in games. Oh yea... that Street Fighter 2 HD remix will come out eventually. They did an amazing job balancing out the game. No longer can I use the Shoto technique, where I crouching fierce you out of the air, 90% of the time. Rebalanced engine, Brand new artwork... which is awesome mind you, but it retains the old feel. There are other games worth mentioning, but I'll move on.

I am a fan of the details. Small thing eventually add up... ya know? For instance, I spoke with Black Night for over an hour the other day on my friends 360. He lives on the other side of the planet. So obviously I had questions about Australia... I asked him all sorts of things about games he has, that I want, Like UT3 and Soul Calibur IV. And of course I might be able to talk to him via the internet on some sort of application, but it's nice to be able to easily do it from the console. Black Night is quite knowledgeable. Real smart guy. I asked him specific questions and he answered them in full and then some. He and I are Unreal Tournament fans. And he says that he has better connectivity on the 360 network, than on a regular internet connection via computer. Sure there is lag from time to time, but he says he often plays guys from the States, and the games are quite playable. Unlike our battle so many month ago in UT99, where I experienced lag so horrible, the game was unplayable. So it is a reasonable assumption that the 360 network is superior in many ways. I just spoke with a friend tonight, and he mentioned the issues with finding another friend on his list for a match in MGS4. Apparently friends do not roll over to the game itself, so you gotta submit the friends name again to add it to the list, or somesuch. And even then there were issues he claimed. So not only does 360 have an awesome network, everything has a standard to meet user friendliness.

Which brings me to another point. The UI on the 360 seems far superior. I cant put my finger on it, but I really don't like the PS3 UI. It feels... dingy. I don't know why... frame rate? Color pallet? I just don't know but it looks... yea, dingy. And the internet browser is a prime example of it's ugliness. And as for the new UI being released later this year for the 360... I have no idea how well it will be done. But I am willing to bet it will be just fine. Rare was in charge of making avatars and whatnot. I don't really care one way or another about that really, but all in all, it's just another tidbit to add to the overall package. Microsoft rips off Sony's idea for home... kinda... with the avatar at least. And Sony has trophies... so the playing field is equal in that respect. Rip offs and all. But Microsoft claims the new UI will be superior in regards to being user friendly. Which is an interesting claim, as I thought it was fine as it was. But it just goes to show you how complete the scope of Microsoft's drive to make an excellent experience. To keep us happy, and bring even more customers in. But I hear that the home beta has just started, so it sounds like PS3 might finally get it soon. 'bout time... heh.

So another thing Microsoft will bring to the table, is bringing friends into the scenario. What did they call it... Primetime? I can host a room where all my friends can join up. And say for instance, I am the only one who owns Uno, the game the guy used at the E3 presentation. Everyone can play, even though they don't own the game. Thats awesome! I don't know how many games will have that functionality, but its great. Apparently they have some silly game show, 1 vs 100 where you can join up and play. That concept is phenomenal. Sure I'll probably never play it, but that is quite cool. Of course it will use your avatar, a cool gimmick.

I'm getting away from the point. Microsoft is using all the money they earned, and enhancing the system significantly. On top of this, there is the bottom line. Games. Sony lost all the exclusives I was interested in. In my eyes, there is nothing left, save MGS4, that I want to play on the PS3. And in turn, there are games exclusive to the 360 that I want to get anyway. Some very simple, like Geometry Wars 2. I won't even get into this... Because the only title that was even making me consider the possibility of getting a PS3 was Final Fantasy XIII. Boom... FFXIII on 360 as well... Which of course my friend called that one months and months ago. Once that information exploded at E3, my decision was finalized. It absolutely closed the deal for me.

But the point of all this... 360, like it or not, has 2/1 control over PS3. And with the new features (netflix functionality etc.) and all the new games, by the numbers alone, 360 stands to capitalize on the total sales this year. Alot of these new features helped seal the deal for undecided consumers, and I'm sure will help contribute sales from the casual gamer. Microsoft is putting that dollar down, and buying everything it can to further its appeal. I'm sure SquareEnix made a hefty sum from Microsoft to have FFXIII on the 360 as well. And on that note, when a company makes a game, they stand to make more money having it on the 360 than on the PS3. Sure there are alot of multi platform titles, but if Microsoft keeps laying that dollar down from it's seemingly endless pockets, and continues buying exclusives, they are going to slowly monopolize the market. I don't think there will be a true monopolization... But for me, the PS3 is a very expensive paperweight. For me... there are many many games exclusive to 360 that I want, as opposed to PS3's small handful. But if 360 maintains control of the market, as it is, It will effectively be robbing Sony of potential buyers. Which will obviously effect Sony's ability to lay that money down or maintain it's appeal. Because the bottom line is the almighty dollar. And this is a business... A FLOCKING HUGE BUSINESS!!! And any smart businessperson will more often than not, go with a sure thing. So the matter of which system is technically superior... is a moot point. Because if Microsoft keeps it up, Sony will be fighting to maintain a competitive edge. Bottom line. Sure Sony is a huge multi faceted company, and they have plenty of cash too, but I don't see any real advancement this year on the PS3. Perhaps they have a few trump cards yet to be played. But the more time that passes, the weaker their position appears to be. They better do something soon, or their going to be hard pressed.

So with the money they stand to gain this year, you can bet that Microsoft will continue to capitalize just as they did this year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coupled with the fact, that we cant play with/or against each other with hacked systems and such... (to my knowledge)

sure we can :P I've been on live with backups for well over a year now. :P

jeez i hope you didnt use the wii to make that post. :D

by the way you made a good choice in the 360.

LOL no, I'm on the roomates laptop. Oh hell yea good choice. I just wanted to bring to lite, that PS3 is in a world of hurt.

Coupled with the fact, that we cant play with/or against each other with hacked systems and such... (to my knowledge)

sure we can :P I've been on live with backups for well over a year now. :P

Reeeeealy..... Id thought that Microsoft had military grade whatever going on... where using anything not legit on their network would be sniffed out and exposed........ Hmmmmm

nope they ban groups ever once in a while. (bad rips) but I've played some really high profile games well in advance of release with no repercussions.

Hmmmm. That makes me wonder.... If they are even as competent as I would have imagined. I hope at least they have people in place to monitor pics and movies and online interactions using visual media. Otherwise a lawsuit, or rather many many lawsuits could pummel them and put them in a bad light. Hell, I have heard of people getting peep shows. Mix that in with underage element, and you have a media frenzy. New York Times and everybody would be all over it. You gotta have that sh!t policed by law. I wonder how much slides. For instance, during a late night session of GOW, a guy in my party sent a pic of him toking from a bong to everyone in the match. What exactly gets through the cracks I wonder...... Heh... the sh!t I seen working for MySpace... heh

Edited by Belthasar

oh Bal if you haven't heard, try to hold out on a 360 till sept 7th. major price cuts hitting. the arcade will go down to $199. other SKUs going down too. not sure of the price point on them though.

Sounds great... I estimated (before you mentioned this tidbit) at least OCT 7 which is my birthday... (which will also mark my 1 year anniversary with 1emulation) But now it sounds as if I might get it sooner.... awesome.

What do you mean by exactly by " the arcade will go down to $199 " ?

What do you mean by exactly by " the arcade will go down to $199 " ?

the arcade SKU is the 360 with out a hard drive. it comes with a 256MB card instead.

the 20gb SKU is 249 right now, the 60gb is 299. word is that the 60 will go down to 249 and the 20 will be discontinued.

I appreciate the viewpoint and all, but it seems like no one here bothers to give the full explanation or interpretation of the Wii or the PS3.

Oh brother... don't even get me started on the wii. I actually have one here in the apartment... And I hate the thing. In fact, I don't even see it as a competitor. I didn't even make reference to it it the thread. I mean NO offense at all, you were just making a point... but the wii pisses me off more than any other system... ever.

I'm just making sure, that people understand what I am saying. All I am saying, is Microsoft, and every company affiliated with 360 (game companies & publishers) are going to make a hell of alot of doe. More so than PS3 and this is based on the control of the market via consoles. 2/1 vs PS3 And that alone will pay dividends that will further fund and develop later functionality and loyalty from said licensing groups. Which will act as a multiplier for potential customers which comes full circle, fueling the whole thing even further. Microsoft has set the pace and they are taking major advantage of the situation. It's like military or political posturing. Sneaky bastards..... heh It's like they are power leveling, and the PS3 doesn't have the high level buffs so they can solo the dungeon... ....... I'm such a nerd.. HAHAHAHAHAHA