2008 Beijing Summer Olympics

Robert

I didn't realize we had two topics for this. I went and merged mine into Robert's and renamed the thread. :P

Anyway, USA beat China a few hours ago, with the final score of 101-70. They are already calling USA the "redeem team".

Here's a snippet:

USA: "It was our first game. We were very anxious. We missed shots that we normally would hit. But at the end of the day, you win by almost 30 points, you've got to take good things out of that," Wade said. "We played very, very hard. We give ourselves a chance defensively every night. That's what it's all about with us."

China's Yao Ming, All-Star center for the Houston Rockets, started the showcase by drilling a 3-pointer from the top of the key for the first score of the game.

The Americans made 21 of their first 25 shots inside the 3-point arc, though they had another inept night behind it. Still, with James, Wade and Bryant repeatedly getting out on the break, the poor 3-point shooting wasn't a problem on this night.

"We came out a little tight. We knew that it was going to be a very emotional game for both teams, especially China, playing in front of their home crowd," U.S. forward Chris Bosh said. "We withstood the storm, we calmed down and we just played a lot better basketball."

NBA players are wildly popular in China, where the league estimates 300 million people play basketball. The Americans, still known as the Dream Team here, enjoyed a huge backing during exhibition games in Macau and Shanghai, support that will surely help them here on their gold-medal quest.

Bush came out first, walking to his seat above center court about a half hour before the 10:15 start. He was still shaking hands and slapping five with fans around him minutes later when Yao, back from season-ending foot surgery in March, led China's players onto the floor to a thunderous ovation.

Read full article: http://www.nbcolympics.com/basketball/news...sid=192031.html

when i was watching the cycling race the other morning, my mom asked me why there were no people lining the route (as compared with the throngs of people lining the route in the Tour de France). China has locked up its population so as to not embarrass itself with the squalor that most of its population lives in. On the Coverage on TV, the only shots not of the events are of the landmarks: The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, etc. They show no overview shots of the city like they have done for previous cities where the games were hosted in...

• 2 weeks later...

they should get stripped of one medal at least, they have a 13 year old girl on the gymnastics team and the limit is 16. not to mention all the controversy over the opening ceremony, fake fireworks, lipsyncing kid, ect.

What you think of China getting most of the gold ?

I think that the referees are in the chines side . I watched some event where chines get a high mark even they do not perform good .

There was only one event where I really felt there was Chinese favouritism and that was the womens gymanstics - beams. Other than that, I dont really know where china got all their medals from, they seem to have got the majority of their golds before track'n'field events have even started (does team golds count as x3 or x4 gold maybe?).

other than that, only thing I should mention is Usain Bolt. I'm far too much of a cynic to not think there is something dodgy going on with that guy. He wasn't even going to run the 100m? Now, after that ridiculous performance in the 100m ("Don't run full speed, you'll draw too much suspicion. Maybe do what Asafa Powell does and always lose in the finals, even though he's at least 0.1 secs faster than everyone else..." except it looked like Bolt forgot that until the last 20m), it looks like he'll give a more 'convincing' performance in the 200m.

Edited by basilbr

they should get stripped of one medal at least, they have a 13 year old girl on the gymnastics team and the limit is 16. not to mention all the controversy over the opening ceremony, fake fireworks, lipsyncing kid, ect.

IOC says their ages are legit. Their 16 and you don't exactly calling the IOC a bunch of liers.

On the favoritism part, Women Gymnastics was probably where it all was. It's by far the most hype event at this olympics after, uh, well what else is there to talk about. Women Gymnastics is the Olympics this year as far as I'm concerned with all the drama behind it.

(And I <3 Women Beach Volleyball)