2008 Beijing Summer Olympics

Robert

The 2008 Olympic games is about to start in Bejing, capital city of communist China.

The opening ceremony will be tomorrow, 8/8/08. Apparently 8 is a lucky number for the Chinese.

So far, we've seen dissenters removed off the streets, internet censorship, buses bombed - and air pollution on an unprecedented scale. Today's pollution was so bad that you could hardly see anything, it was 60 times as much as the danger level in my country. Athletes have been wearing face masks to protect themselves.

So, here is the chance for the Chinese authorities to prove themselves enlightened - or not.

Which country will win the most medals?

How do you expect your country to perform?

Do you think China is a suitable venue?

Please give all your opinions and happenings right here in this thread!

The 2008 Olympic games is about to start in Bejing, capital city of communist China.

The opening ceremony will be tomorrow, 8/8/08. Apparently 8 is a lucky number for the Chinese.

So far, we've seen dissenters removed off the streets, internet censorship, buses bombed - and air pollution on an unprecedented scale. Today's pollution was so bad that you could hardly see anything, it was 60 times as much as the danger level in my country. Athletes have been wearing face masks to protect themselves.

So, here is the chance for the Chinese authorities to prove themselves enlightened - or not.

Which country will win the most medals?

How do you expect your country to perform?

Do you think China is a suitable venue?

Please give all your opinions and happenings right here in this thread!

Well Politically no but didn't the same happen in Germany and with the cricket in Zimbawe?

Environmentally no, your comments are reason enough plus all the green debates about China.

Financially yes, tv rights cut, tourists spending etc

Nationally yes the pride holding olympics plus being the new super power

Venue wise no because of the above, but nodoubt the stadiums will be great

Even Pirate bay don't want to support it

http://www.slyck.com/story1737_SafeNet_to_Protect_Chinese_Broadcast_of_Olympic_Games

Helping out promoting a country like China is not in anyone’s interest besides their oppressive government,” Peter Sundre, spokesperson of The Pirate Bay writes. “I’m quite surprised that the discussions about China versus human rights have been so quiet during the Olympics. In my opinion the Olympics should never be held in a country like that

That said the west aren't any better we all have our dirt so less wait and see what transpires.

I thought a thread was needed for this.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/

http://www.nbcolympics.com/

The 2008 Summer Olympic Games, officially known as the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, is a major international multi-sport event which is being celebrated in Beijing, People's Republic of China from August 8 (with football starting on August 6) to August 24, 2008 and followed by the 2008 Summer Paralympics from September 6 to September 17. 10,500 athletes are expected to compete in 302 events in 28 sports, one event more than was on the schedule of the 2004 games.[2] The 2008 Beijing Olympics will also mark the third time that Olympic events will have been held in the territories of two different National Olympic Committees (NOC), with the equestrian events to be held in Hong Kong.

Start talking.... :P

I will try to tune into this. What do you want to see the most GC?

USA vs. China .... the definitive basketball game, which will start in about 6 hours from now. I think I'll be watching it live. Microsoft and NBC have really done a great job with the NBCOlympics website. It's amazing how much they allow you to watch without commercial interruption. You can watch full games and even from days prior. It also has live feeds as well. This is when the use of technology becomes truly great. :P

I watched most of the day today but nothing really interesting. of course as a male I am interested in the womens gymnastics, volleyball, beach volleyball events :P I missed the opening ceremony last night but I heard it was spectacular.

I watched most of the day today but nothing really interesting. of course as a male I am interested in the womens gymnastics, volleyball, beach volleyball events :P I missed the opening ceremony last night but I heard it was spectacular.

The opening ceremony was amazing. They had 2008 people on the floor in unison making perfect circles around the field and dancing horizontally around a huge ball (dancers are held by cables), representing the Earth. I have never seen anything like it before. The training involved for the opening ceremony must have been extremely difficult.

Anyway, you can catch the opening ceremony in its entirety on the NBCOlympics website for free I believe. If not, I am positive they have the highlights for you to watch. :D

Seems like nobody is really interested.

Anyway, there was a really nice opening ceremony - with a 5km exclusion radius.

And some nutter killed two Americans then jumped off a building to his death.

I think it didn't matter what Beijing did for the opening ceremony. Anything is better than Georgia driving around in pickup trucks and yelling out "Getter Dun!". I had never been so embarrassed in my entire life.