Video editor program

I have a bunch of video files that I want to merge into one larger file. Obviously I have no idea whatsoever on how to do so. What programs do you recommend?

Probably the single most useful is VirtualDub. Also it's variants, VirtualDubMod, VirtualDub ASF etc etc. Very versatile and pretty easy to use.

Windows Movie Maker.

And to avoiding any slow downs or crashes whilst using it, convert the videos to .wmv, it has no problems working with those because it's Windows friendly.

WMV is a relatively poor format. Plus converting to wmv is completely unecessary unless you specifically want wmv as the output format, and it will also take 'x' amount of time to convert. Also converting between formats will always result in a loss of quality.

Combining a series of files depends entirely on the source format. If they are mp4, then use YAMB, avi then use VirtualDubMod, wmv then whatever, mkv then use mkvtoolnix etc. If they are all different then you will need to choose a common container and convert them all to that before you can join them.

Windows Movie Maker.

And to avoiding any slow downs or crashes whilst using it, convert the videos to .wmv, it has no problems working with those because it's Windows friendly.

WMV is a relatively poor format. Plus converting to wmv is completely unecessary unless you specifically want wmv as the output format, and it will also take 'x' amount of time to convert. Also converting between formats will always result in a loss of quality.

I know this, but this file doesn't contain codecs that conflict with the program.

I know plenty of AVI formats that work with WMM just fine. But I try to avoid the program and the .wmv format as much as possible, because the format contains a not very optimized codec and the program is extremely limiting and and not powerful enough for my tastes. I'd say if your using avi definitely go with VirtualDubMod.