Xbox 360 Vs. PlayStation 3 - Let's finish this.

there needs to stop being versus threads with 360 vs ps3, it makes no sense most of the games being developed by 3rd party publishers are being made for both consoles, both consoles are almost identical power wise, with the 360 u got faster loading dvds and with the ps3 u got hd install with disc loading so the load speeds are not really an issue. what ya gonna complain the ps3 will eventually run out of hd space?? go buy a bigger hard drive the ps3 was made with this upgrade feature from the start i got a 250gb hard drive in my ps3 so space is the least of my worries, my main concerns with 360 is that they are getting decent exclusives but they only appeal to a small amount of gamers for that system and this crap they are doing with the dash board which they should leave alone they are blantly stealing ides from nintendo and sony . and ps3 is stalling home so much and building it up and when they release it its just gonna be meh i waited all this time for this. to me there is no console war anymore for me personally since the ps3 free online really isnt that bad i will buy for that console unless there some 360 exclusive i cant live without. and if the ps3 dies which i doubt it will i still have the 360 to fall back on. you know why cuz im a gamer when its all said and done its not about which system is better, its the fact that im playing a game that i enjoy period.

you will never stop these kind of threads,there will always be fanboys and whatever.hell its something to talk about.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not arguing about things takes away something to do. :huh: Do I actually care which system is more powerful? No, I care about price and what games are on it. On that front, the PS3 is more expensive and has nothing on it, so I don't like it. Doesn't actually mean it's bad, either, I just don't like it.

I found this video with John Carmack, the guy who sold his car to single-handedly program the Doom engine,

Not sure where you got that info from. By the time Carmack was programming the Doom engine id software was already fairly well off as a company because Commander Keen and Wolfenstein were fairly successful.

But that is only a trivial matter.

I'm not exactly sure what drives people to have these...

You don't seem to be pretty sure of anything. And although the company had those previous titles, it was far from rich. That piece of trivia came from the Return to Castle Wolfenstein manual btw.

The PS3 is between 2x and 4x as powerful as the 360 when the Cell is fully exploited (and depending on how it is exploited, of course), but few 3rd party devs are willing to actually go through what it takes to do it.

Are you serious? I posted this video so that idiots like you would stop spouting absolute nonsense. Watch the video- even if the SPUs of the Cell were all utilised there are only very limited theoretical situations where the PS3 would come out on top. The GPU in the 360 is stronger, and the PS3's stupid RAM arrangement doesn't help.

2x to 4x as good? Now I have to wonder if maybe Mr. Carmack has something to learn from you. He obviously doesn't get it.

Final Fantasy 13 will ultimately decide the winner here; I'm aware it's multi-platform now, but Versus still isn't (Nomura himself said it wouldn't be if he had anything to say about it). No Playstation console system has actually had games made for it that took full advantage of the system specs before Square showed everyone how. It'll be the same for PS3.

The FF series is rubbish now and not anywhere the draw you think it is or would like it to be. Also are you going to make the claim that Square pushed the PS1 and 2 to their limits? You do recall that most of the PSX-era FFs were prerendered graphics, right? You know, prerendered 2d backgrounds, prerendered FMV... that stuff doesn't push the spec too much.

Final Fantasy 13 will ultimately decide the winner here

..and what a hollow victory it would be. If the entire PS3's graphical reputation relies on this one game then that speaks volumes. What's the use in one visual masterpiece if it's preceded/succeeded by a litany of sub-par, stuttering, inferior titles which could/should have exploited the full power of the console?

I mean, say on average a 360 game uses 80-90% of it's potential, yet a PS3 game on average only uses say 60-70%. Would you rather a whole slew of 60-70% games with 1 or 2 maximised, or dozens of 80-90% games with 1 or 2 prime examples? Even if those 1 or 2 PS3 games top anything the 360 could handle, on the whole the 360 library is much more fulfilling than it's counterpart's.

Even if the PS3 is potentially more powerful, the fact that it's so difficult to develop for will always hang over it's head. It's pretty much a moot point anyway as the vast majority of people only own one of the two consoles and will never experience any of the pros/cons first-hand.

I found this video with John Carmack, the guy who sold his car to single-handedly program the Doom engine,

Not sure where you got that info from. By the time Carmack was programming the Doom engine id software was already fairly well off as a company because Commander Keen and Wolfenstein were fairly successful.

But that is only a trivial matter.

I'm not exactly sure what drives people to have these...

You don't seem to be pretty sure of anything. And although the company had those previous titles, it was far from rich. That piece of trivia came from the Return to Castle Wolfenstein manual btw.

Little sensitive there are we? I would trust a book that covered the lives of John Carmack and Romero to be a more reputable source than a video game manual. I downloaded the manual to look at it but I couldn't find it. What page was it on? And also this report by the Nightly Business Report following the release of Wolf 3D says they are a multi-million dollar business.

What the hell you can't embed here?

Edited by Autobahn

Some people have problems embedding, I don't remember the details.

On the topic of why we're arguing again, it's about what to purchase. Some people don't own either console and only want to purchase one, some people own one and want to verify that their purchase was the better choice and they made the right decision. This is the sort of thing that sparks these arguments.

As much as I love the fact that this topic is aimed more at the X360 users, you do realize that this isn't the last topic of this kind, and that last few topics we had where it went on to be a Micro vs. Sony battle ended up scaring some people and then kinda getting the general mood in the bored really bad....

As much as I love the fact that this topic is aimed more at the X360 users, you do realize that this isn't the last topic of this kind, and that last few topics we had where it went on to be a Micro vs. Sony battle ended up scaring some people and then kinda getting the general mood in the bored really bad....

Exactly. Crap like this scares new users away. Sure it's nice to have the freedom to talk smack and all, but other forums have rules against Vs. threads for a reason. It alienates people. Both systems are great.

End it people. Close the thread and talk about something other then which system is better. This generation doesn't mean anything overall. Why? Because for some flocking reason the Wii, the worst out of all the systems, is 'winning'. Maybe you should make a thread about that. Discuss scenarios as to why a Gamecube with a new controller has actually outsold everything worldwide. That, to me, is a discussion worth having. And might provoke some intelligent thought as well.

Exactly. Crap like this scares new users away. Sure it's nice to have the freedom to talk smack and all, but other forums have rules against Vs. threads for a reason. It alienates people. Both systems are great.

End it people. Close the thread and talk about something other then which system is better. This generation doesn't mean anything overall. Why? Because for some flocking reason the Wii, the worst out of all the systems, is 'winning'. Maybe you should make a thread about that. Discuss scenarios as to why a Gamecube with a new controller has actually outsold everything worldwide. That, to me, is a discussion worth having. And might provoke some intelligent thought as well.

Read the thread title. The whole point of this was to end that idle speculation and put a 'case closed' sticker on the debate of which system is better. Because that debate is well and truly settled now.