Xbox 360 Vs. PlayStation 3 - Let's finish this.

Arguments about whether the Xbox 360 or the PlayStation 3 are better systems comes up here all the time. The problem with these debates is they usually consist of people who don't know hardware or development from their own backside, and the discussion gets perpetuated by half-truths, theory specs and a lot of wishful thinking.

I found this video with John Carmack, the guy who sold his car to single-handedly program the Doom engine, talking about the console hardware with regards to Rage. This guy is not just any game dev. If anyone has the authority to speak out about which gaming machine is better, he does. His conclusions might not make everyone happy.

In any case, I think this is a very informative and technical interview and should put theorycrafting system comparisons to rest., once and for all.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was an incredibly long amount of time for me to listen to nerd speak, but hey, he says the 360 is better at everything except CD storage (I will continue to call them CD's unless you convince me either that they are not compact or that they are not discs). I can't argue that, either. Blu-Ray holds more data than DVDs.

didn't watch the vid yet but He's been saying 360 is better since the beginning. so no surprise there.

what really boggles the mind is Carmack claims the iphone is a more powerful handheld gaming platform then the PSP and DS combined.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but this keeps reminding me of the Saturn/PSX era. Both systems had a lot of games in common, with a few quality exclusives, and comparable hardware specs. The Saturn had a reputation for being a nightmare to work with (PS3), even though it had ostensibly more potential. While the PSX (360) wasn't quite as powerful, but was a lot easier to code for. Ultimately this helped tip the scales in the PSX's favour.

Ok, maybe not the most accurate of comparisons, but it just sounds familiar to me.

I found this video with John Carmack, the guy who sold his car to single-handedly program the Doom engine,

Not sure where you got that info from. By the time Carmack was programming the Doom engine id software was already fairly well off as a company because Commander Keen and Wolfenstein were fairly successful.

But that is only a trivial matter.

I'm not exactly sure what drives people to have these pissing matches of which person's preferred system is better than the other.

On the subject of their iphone game, I'm looking forward to it because I'm getting an iphone soon!!

Edited by Autobahn

It doesn't matter which system is better, even if someone were to prove which console is better than the other two by comparing system specs and statistics it all comes down to the person who's going to buy either system. Just because one system is better than the other, it is not necessarily going to make many people buy a system based on statistics and sells, it's all based on personal preference.

Threads like these never come down to solid conclusions, there's always going to be someone who's biased, or someone who isn't going to agree and will see their view on the matter correct, so the thread won't get anywhere, or any other thread made in forums across the internet.

The PS3 is between 2x and 4x as powerful as the 360 when the Cell is fully exploited (and depending on how it is exploited, of course), but few 3rd party devs are willing to actually go through what it takes to do it.

In addition, most multi-platform games are developed with the 360 in mind and the devs basically just compile the code, so when the PS3 version comes it ends up running at half the frame rate because it's only using the PowerPC core.

Ultimately, the only inferiority the PS3 suffers from is incompetent (I use the term loosely) development of games. It would not be difficult for any developer to call up Sony and ask them how they might exploit the Cell for a particular effect.

Final Fantasy 13 will ultimately decide the winner here; I'm aware it's multi-platform now, but Versus still isn't (Nomura himself said it wouldn't be if he had anything to say about it). No Playstation console system has actually had games made for it that took full advantage of the system specs before Square showed everyone how. It'll be the same for PS3.

You're pretty much completely wrong Chibi. 2x to 4x more powerful? What? It would have to be under specific and theoretical conditions. Did you watch the Carmack video? He would know just as much as PS3 exclusive developers and more than pretty much anyone on the issue outside of maybe Sony engineers.

And Final Fantasy isn't going to decide sh!t. So what if it's the best looking game? It's winning an irrelevant contest. It's also just one game. What will decide the winner is what company and game can exploit all systems at once and provide the best experience.

Edited by Autobahn

there needs to stop being versus threads with 360 vs ps3, it makes no sense most of the games being developed by 3rd party publishers are being made for both consoles, both consoles are almost identical power wise, with the 360 u got faster loading dvds and with the ps3 u got hd install with disc loading so the load speeds are not really an issue. what ya gonna complain the ps3 will eventually run out of hd space?? go buy a bigger hard drive the ps3 was made with this upgrade feature from the start i got a 250gb hard drive in my ps3 so space is the least of my worries, my main concerns with 360 is that they are getting decent exclusives but they only appeal to a small amount of gamers for that system and this crap they are doing with the dash board which they should leave alone they are blantly stealing ides from nintendo and sony . and ps3 is stalling home so much and building it up and when they release it its just gonna be meh i waited all this time for this. to me there is no console war anymore for me personally since the ps3 free online really isnt that bad i will buy for that console unless there some 360 exclusive i cant live without. and if the ps3 dies which i doubt it will i still have the 360 to fall back on. you know why cuz im a gamer when its all said and done its not about which system is better, its the fact that im playing a game that i enjoy period.