Japanese vs. American video game box arts!

Alpha

Japanese vs. American box arts!  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always preferred the Japanese game covers, they have that distinct diverse flavor of creativity. In a sense, they are much more artistic in a way. I'll take ICO's box cover for example:

Japan's - U.S's

Box-l-jp.jpgIco_box_usa.jpg

The japanese psy-ops box art seems vaguely familiar.

It should; it was designed by the same guy who's in charge of SNK's artwork and designs in its games. (FALCOON?).

Shinkiro

Also, this topic was on 4ch that keeps coming up. Americans want an angry or agitated character on their boxarts complete with action poses.

• 1 month later...

I lean more towards the Japanese art in most of the ones you have shown. There's something about them that gives me more of an urge to dig deeper into the soul of the game. I know that statement was pretty full of cheese but if you captivate me visually, you've won me over.

• 1 month later...

im too lazy to upload the pix, but we all know the best example ever was Casltevania SOTN

but im glad all the FF remakes have been using the simple cover art, sometimes less is more

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Orochi Saga: America

Orochi Saga: Japan

I think the quality found in boxart is very subjective for a variety of reasons. For one, you have to consider the region. In Japan, KoF (as an example) is big, so not much is needed to advertise what it is for the sake of appeal. The market is already knowledgeable as to what the product is, it just needs to know the specifics. In America, conversely, the market for KoF is much smaller, so something more artistically engaging is needed to attract consumers.

Also, the perception of artistic merit belongs to the individual, so, overall, it's all just a matter of opinion. To gauge the overall quality of American boxart versus Japanese would be tedious and, ultimately, futile. People will still have their opinions.