Japanese vs. American video game box arts!

Alpha

Japanese vs. American box arts!  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here are some examples of box arts for some games:

(Left: Japanese | Right: American)

072908japaneseboxobs13apu1.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs29vis6.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs28axk2.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs19aow8.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs18afa3.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs17alm1.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs26abv3.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs39amc4.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs24aff4.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs01ati2.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs23alv9.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs41aqf7.jpg

072908japaneseboxobs50aam0.jpg

Source (and for all picture comparisons): http://www.gamesradar.com/f/why-japanese-b...729123833874037

My vote goes to the American box arts. The Japanese box arts try to get to the point, but fail (IMO), while using similar artistic Japanese styles. At least I think, the American box arts seem to convey the image of the game more clearly.

I think the Japanese names for games give away more than the box art. Prime example is Biohazard (aka in the US as Resident Evil). The title clues you in before you even buy it that it's a biohazard incident type of story while Resident Evil clues you in as you play the game.

I've always liked Japanese ones better. This selection of box arts does have a few in favor of American, though.

PAL covers range from great to flocking pathetic and horrible. For examples of the latter, check box arts from 505 GameStreet's/505Games' budget releases. What also gets me with PAL releases that during the entire lifetime of the PSX, every single game had a black and white manual while Americans and the Japanese always had full color manuals. No final Fantasy game had any cover art apart from the stylished logo on a white background either.

While this practice is much rarer in the PS2 days, it still happens. With the advent of the PS2 some part of the publishing arms also though that translating manuals to other languages (i.e. Finnish, Swedish, etc.) was a good idea. Not a bad idea per se, but the translations were sometimes so off and filled with mistakes that you'd feel embarrassed for your country.

To add insult to injury, if you have to rely on a translated part of the manual to understand anything about the game, despite the being being 100% English and the manual also had an English section, you shouldn't be playing the game in the first place. Other times, the manual would add things not mentioned in the US manual; things that proved to be completely false in worst cases.

Ah, enough ranting for now.

It's hard to pick, but I will go for the Japanese ones. Their covers seem to feature more of the characters, really zooming in on them and profiling them more then the US covers do, and I like that.

lol at backyard wrestling.

It's about half and half really. Some of the japanese box art just looks plain better than their american counterpart and vice versa.

The japanese psy-ops box art seems vaguely familiar.

The japanese psy-ops box art seems vaguely familiar.

It should; it was designed by the same guy who's in charge of SNK's artwork and designs in its games. (FALCOON?).

of the ones u posted, i like most of the japanese ones more. i love the jap soul calibur boxart