Does watching t.v. shows or playing video games in 4:3 format cause burn-in

SF2MJ

Does watching t.v. shows or playing video games in 4:3 format cause burn-in?

How about watching dvd's that are in wide screen format but still have slight borders at the top and bottom of the screen?

I am just wondering about it because on the front page of the manual of my samsung a550 full hd lcd t.v. it says watching shows in 4:3 or playing games with static images for example a map in the corner in a war game etc...can cause burn in.

Yet i have found on these forums people saying that lcd t.v.'s don't suffer with burn in.

So as you can imagine i am very confused about this.

Is there a time limit as to how long you can watch a show in 4:3 before it burns in?

Can the burn-in be reversed if you switch the t.v. off for a few hours?....meaning do the pixels reset themselves?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've never heard of LCD burn-in. plasmas and those old rear projection TVs get burn in. burn in can not be reversed as far as I know.

LCD screens do not suffer from burn-in because there is no component in there that would cause burn-in. What you may see in some extreme case is image retention which is not harmful and will fade away soon.

LCD screens do not suffer from burn-in because there is no component in there that would cause burn-in. What you may see in some extreme case is image retention which is not harmful and will fade away soon.

Why the hell do they put this in the front page of the manual.I can't understand Samsung.Are they trying to cover their a**?.The are making it sound like image retention is permanent...liking it to burn-in.

lastscanju8.jpg

Edited by SF2MJ

What happens if your watching a film..for example lord of the rings that runs over 2 hours,and during that time you have slight black borders on the top and bottom of your screen?.

Can those borders lead to image retention?.

no cuz there is a moving image on the screen the whole 2 hours, so the screen is refreshing it self all the time. i got 2 plasmas one i have had for almost 2 yrs and no image retention or burn in so i know u should have no probs from your lcd.

I am new to all this lcd stuff.So as you can imagine all the nightmare stories about this sort of thing on the net had me stressing out.

Especially say when i am playing a war game on my 360,and you have the map of your surroundings on the bottom left hand side of your screen.If i was having say a 3 hour session,i would constantly be worried that the map would be burned into the screen.

Same thing when watching a movie in 4:3 format with borders on the right and left side of the screen.

Edited by SF2MJ

Well think of it like this. LCD TVs are based on the same technology that LCD monitors use, and like Agozee said, image retention is all your worrying about. I haven't heard, seen or even EXPERIENCE a burn in with my LCD monitor, which is older than my Bravia, WAY older, I'm talking when LCD Monitors at 15" were HARDCORE EXPENSIVE, that's a good 7 years and nothing has happened to it. And no, I don't have ANY sort of power saving options on this computer, it's all off.

What Samsung put there is just in case a burn in does happen, they won't be liable for a suit, because it clearly states precautions against something that really shouldn't happen with LCD technology.

So like one of the posters above stated...if you do get some kind of image retention.It's usually only temporary.Meaning if i play anything full screen it should undo the retention or turn it off for an hour or two.