Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for xbox 360

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Prez at Sony has said it, he's "disappointed" that SE decided to go Multi-platform. It's still a business after all, and the higher ups at SE don't see the PS3 version garnering enough sales. To the degree, not enough gamers will be buy them for it.

Even though Sony has a pocket in S-E, Square basically told em to screw off because it cost so much to develop the game and Sony themselves spent so much money developing and promoting both Blu-Ray and Cell, which left without enough checks to put out for exclusivity.

Here's an 1up interview with Kitase, the man behind the series(FFVII,VIII,X,X-2) should answer some curious questions for the anticipated fans.

Few! If only we had this many interviews on a regular week! 1UP had the opportunity to sit down with Square Enix to talk about Final Fantasy XIII and it's progression, as well as a bit on the future of Final Fantasy VII. To me it sounds like things are going smoothly and the best is yet to come! Check out the interview below.

1UP: Will the development of FFXIII for Xbox 360 result in a delay for the PS3 version in Japan?

Shinji Hashimoto: No, the development of a 360 version won't necessarily affect the PS3 version, purely because the PS3 game will be completed first. That's been in development for some time and is still on schedule. And, really, since we haven't ever announced any sort of release date...then it couldn't really be "delayed," right?

1UP: For the upcoming 360/PS3 role-playing game The Last Remnant, Square Enix began the localization process much earlier in development than with past Final Fantasy titles; that game will see a simultaneous worldwide release. We know that FFXIII will still debut in Japan first, but will the traditional nine-to-12-month gap between releases be reduced?

SH: Yes, a simultaneous release would be difficult for FFXIII, but we're definitely trying to decrease the gap between the Japanese launch and when we release it to the rest of the world.

1UP: In terms of lessening the gap between the Eastern and Western releases, does it help that the game's been in development for such a long time? The story should be nearly complete by now, right?

Yoshinori Kitase: As you mentioned, it definitely helps the localization when you've got a finalized story. Our story is now complete, and we're just about to start the voice casting and recording. Once that's complete, we can really get into the localization process.

1UP: Can you discuss the process of developing the game's engine -- as it evolved from the White Engine into Crystal Tools, did everything go as planned, or were there some bumps along the way?

YK: I'd say that it's on schedule as we'd originally planned, but it certainly hasn't been easy, and it's been quite a time-consuming process. FFXIII currently functions in all the basic ways, but we're still working to polish the engine. People may be under the impression that it's a total package that only needs to be tweaked a little bit in order to port the game to 360, but that's not the case -- we still have to fix it to make it more platform-specific.

1UP: Lightning, the game's heroine, seems to break from the tradition of more reserved female characters in your past FF games. She seems much more dynamic and assertive than FFVII's Aerith, FFVIII's Rinoa, or FFX's Yuna, for example. What can you tell us about her?

YK: The game's director and scenarist definitely wanted to create a new type of character, one who's stronger and carries herself in a certain manner. But although she's strong and outspoken, she also has a kindness within her that balances her personality. Right now, the team is trying very hard to find someone who can portray both her powerful and gentle sides.

1UP: It's been seven years since FFX released, and although FFXI, FFXII, and the other various spin-offs have been largely well received, none had the unique feel of a "Kitase Final Fantasy." Do you worry that it's been so long since FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX that the fans' expectations will be hard to meet? Do you feel a strong pressure to deliver this game?

YK: Even though it's been seven years since FFX, I haven't been far from the series, since I was working on the various Compilation of FFVII games. I don't specifically feel any pressure; instead, I'm looking forward to being able to provide FFXIII to the fans and seeing their reaction to the game.

1UP: For the last two years, you've been adding a few new scenes to the existing FFXIII trailer at each successive press event. How much longer will you keep this trend going? Will you blow us all away with an all-new trailer anytime soon?

SH: We're going to work like this for just a little bit longer; with every update, we're working very hard to include new material. Please be patient -- it'll be just a little bit longer.

1UP: Do you have any update on the mobile title Final Fantasy Agito XIII? U.S. cellphone tech is starting to catch up with Japan's, and we have the iPhone now.... Do you think that's a potential platform for it?

SH: No plans have been confirmed, but we're constantly researching the potential for bringing it to the U.S. Still, Japanese mobile tech is very powerful compared to other markets.

1UP: Has there been any negative reaction from Japanese Xbox 360 owners about the FFXIII announcement? It's not coming out on 360 there, and Japanese gamers won't be able to play the U.S. import on their systems, since the console's region-locked.

SH: There doesn't seem to be any overly negative feedback yet, as Japanese users have known since the beginning that it's coming to PS3.

1UP: In the last few FF titles, you've had a vocal theme song performed by a popular artist. Have you decided if FFXIII will also have one?

YK: We're definitely considering a vocal theme for FFXIII, but we're nowhere near recording it or anything like that yet.

1UP: Recently, Square Enix was one of the first publishers to announce downloadable content for a WiiWare title. Do you think you may offer DLC for FFXIII as well?

YK: Currently, there is no DLC planned for FFXIII, but I'm personally very interested in the concept, so I'm very conscious of it.

1UP: Last week, Final Fantasy Versus XIII director Tetsuya Nomura said that he's hard at work adding new scenes to the FFVII: Advent Children Complete Blu-ray release. Can you give us any update on that project?

SH: You can look forward to the upcoming invite-only fan event DKS3713 [taking place in Tokyo on August 2 and 3], where we'll have a major announcement that will shock the fans in attendance.

1UP: Both of you named FFVII as your favorite FF game. Do you think we'll see more Compilation of FFVII titles?

SH: Well, there's Advent Children Complete, of course.

1UP: FFVII's characters are so beloved that they'll probably never go away, right? Just like Mickey Mouse....

SH: [Laughs] That's true, because today's 15-year-old kids were only 5 when the game released. Even though they weren't interested in it then, now they're getting into it. We're seeing a new cycle of fans emerging....

1UP: FFVII's characters are so beloved that they'll probably never go away, right? Just like Mickey Mouse....

SH: [Laughs] That's true, because today's 15-year-old kids were only 5 when the game released. Even though they weren't interested in it then, now they're getting into it. We're seeing a new cycle of fans emerging....

That made me think they're planning a remake of 7.

That made you think they were doing a remake? Not the announcement that's supposed to shock fans? :D

That made you think they were doing a remake? Not the announcement that's supposed to shock fans? :D

I frequently miss the big picture and easily get distracted by more subtle albeit minor details. And FF13 coming out for the 360 is no shock to me. Not saying that I was expecting this move, it's just that it didn't shock me. At all.

My biggest question is, will the PS3 version make full use of all of PS3's gfx capabilities and look better than the 360 one?

It's built around the PS3, so far it looks good, when they begin the porting process to 360, they'll rewrite the entire rendering engine to accomendate the difference in programming. I'm calling 3 discs on 360 version.

I'm calling slower loads and slightly worse textures on the ps3 version. 3 dvds on the xbox360.