MySites.com Launched!

Perhaps if affordable high-speed ever comes to exist in this country the situation may change... but i'll probably die first.

I sincerely hope not. I didn't realise broadband was that inaccessible in Oz. I'm on a 20MB line and I use all the ad + flash blocking methods I can get my hands on. So many sites these days are full of flash and other crap, especially gaming sites. No reflection on mysites as I haven't visited it yet :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Robert!

No worries :)

About your specs:

Yeah, MySites is basically designed to run on machines less than 4 years old.

We use a lot of client-side processing, for example all our services use javascript, which should in theory make the site much faster to load/render than traditional sites, except in your case :/

I had no idea the connections in Australia were like this, but I do understand why considering your country's size. Does a service like My Pictures work slowly for you as well? Try http://rameen.mypictur.es for example. I'd be curious to know how it behaves :)

Drakeypoo: Cool! What game do you play? I just assumed WoW because it's the one most people play. I know some guys who still play Ultima Online :P

Lol I'm playing 2 atm, one's free with a extremely small crowd that's slowly growing.

http://neosteam.gamengame.com/

The other one is what some would call "The game that should've been WoW"

http://www.guildwars.com/

I also know some players from the Ultima universe lol :P, heck I know runescape players.

Yeah it does!

You can put anything you want on your website.

Just go in the website, click edit, add a Module.

Select the HTML module, and click to edit it an enter any html!

The page creation tool is very nice, but we're working on making it more noob-friendly soon. That's why we call it alpha :P

If you need any help, or you got any requests or feedback, I'd love to hear them!

Hey Robert!

Does a service like My Pictures work slowly for you as well? Try http://rameen.mypictur.es for example. I'd be curious to know how it behaves :P

That site didn't like IE6 either, it started to load, when it got to 33 items remaining, it sort of froze.

Guess it would have finished loading eventually, but I didn't wait around, it had already taken nearly 2 minutes.

Hey Robert,

Yeah like I said we don't support IE6, as it's not capable of handling most of the AJAX we use. After all, it's already quite dated!

Side: based on people's feedback we will remove stuff from the front page. Did you try the site otherwise? Good / bad feedback is appreciated :P

Small bug issues.

We took the time to upload a few songs to a private folder as files, when one goes to download the files, it hangs the browser if it has an .mp3 extension. M4a seems to work fine. Im using Firefox3. The data that does download needs to be renamed after download as well - the file comes down Named as "get_file" instead of the original file name.

Hey, I think I found a bug on the site. It has to do w/ the blog feature. This might sound strange, but whenever I write an entry I always edit it in a word processor ahead of time. Then, when I'm finished I copy/paste the content into the field and submit the blog entry.

Well... strange thing... when I do this, it seems I can't edit the content once I've pasted it into the mysites field. What's worse, after I submit the entry it shows up like this:

"

'blog entry here.'

"

A typical mysites blog entry entered straight into the site would look like this:

"blog entry here."

I am running windows vista 64 on a quad-core processor, firefox 3, solid wireless internet connection, 1680 x 1050 monitor. Word processor used is Staroffice Writer. Hope this helps.