Dragon Age: Origins

Wizard

Fans of Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms: Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (+ their respective expansions), rejoice at the new Bioware project that is known as Dragon Age: Origins.

Dragon Age: Origins, previously known as simply Dragon Age, is a computer role-playing game currently in development by BioWare for the PC.[1] Bioware has announced the game will be released before April 2009.[2]

Unlike many of BioWare's previous titles, Dragon Age: Origins is not based on a pre-existing franchise; the game mechanics and setting are being developed by BioWare specifically for the game. Dragon Age: Origins also utilizes a new game engine named Eclipse. It has not been confirmed if it will feature a toolset for creation of fan-made content, and while multiplayer was initially planned, the focus of development is on the single-player campaign and multiplayer remains unconfirmed. BioWare co-CEO Ray Muzyka describes Dragon Age: Origins as a 'spiritual successor' to the Baldur's Gate series. - Wiki

My personal opinion, unlike their more recent series of RPGs (Neverwinter, Mass Effect, KOTOR), this will rely more on the gameplay that was used for Baldur's Gate 1, refined in 2, peaked with Icewind Dale and perfected in Icewind Dale 2. The new engine also looks AMAZING. Much more refined then Aurora (NWN) and Electron (The Witcher, NWN2) and is named Eclipse. Which reminds me alot of the Infinity Engine in name (Baldur's Gate 1, 2, Icewind Dale 1, 2, Planescape: Torment).

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36033.html (since I can't embed)

What a horribly disappointing teaser. I wonder how much more they can borrow from LoTR.

Bioware needs a better marketing team. After that July 9th website announcement of an announcement and this lame teaser a lot of people aren't too enthused about the game.

They took a turn for the more dark type of high fantasy then the normal type of high fantasy we are usually prone to seeing come from Bioware. LotR books and movies are more of the latter High Fantasy than the former.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36932.html

Not what I expected, but it looks like less NWN and more BG flavor, but very blurry lines to make a comparison. Perhaps when they show off more gameplay, my inital concerns might be lifted then.