Is there anything like HDLoader/HDAdvance that can load PS1 games on the PS2?

Alpha

I was thinking the other day if such a thing existed for the PS2 that was to able to load the PS1 games off the hard drive as well? Is there any homebrew app or any app for that matter that can do that? I always wondered why they didn't make it so that HDLoader could load PS1 games as well? Any ideas?

PS1 hardware is seperate from PS2 hardware. It's EXACTLY the same principle as the Wii, you can't load GC games in Wii mode from what I am aware.

That's true. But couldn't they make a homebrew app that loaded the PS2 in PS1 mode to play backups off HD? If both the Wii and PS2 can emulate its predecessors perfectly, then it definitely has components from either of the older consoles (GameCube and PS1).

PS1 hardware is seperate from PS2 hardware. It's EXACTLY the same principle as the Wii, you can't load GC games in Wii mode from what I am aware.

That's true. But couldn't they make a homebrew app that loaded the PS2 in PS1 mode to play backups off HD? If both the Wii and PS2 can emulate its predecessors perfectly, then it definitely has components from either of the older consoles (GameCube and PS1).

No, access to the PS1 hardware doesn't exist in PS2 mode. The PS2 doesn't even know the PS1 hardware exists. To put it another way, it's the same as the DS. In GBA mode, the DS slot, ARM9 etc doesn't exist.....period.

No, access to the PS1 hardware doesn't exist in PS2 mode. The PS2 doesn't even know the PS1 hardware exists. To put it another way, it's the same as the DS. In GBA mode, the DS slot, ARM9 etc doesn't exist.....period.

I understand that. But I said, what if you loaded a homebrew app into PS1 mode, so you can utilize the PS1 hardware to play backups off HD?

I understand that. But I said, what if you loaded a homebrew app into PS1 mode, so you can utilize the PS1 hardware to play backups off HD?

It's not likely to ever be possible to run PS1 games from the HDD. Not with HDLoader, HDAdvance, Toxic OS, or anything.

When the PS2 runs in PS1 mode, it's using its IO controller as the cpu. HDLoader (and variants) use that processor to run the drive emulation driver that's used to remap dvd calls to the game partition on the HDD. Also, PS1 games don't go through that driver for their drive access anyway, so even if the driver were running on the EE (which it isn't, and never will be because the EE is disabled in PS1 mode), it wouldn't work.

It's been gone over hundreds of times already. It's never going to happen.