The Dark Knight

Gryph

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how these blockbusters keep breaking each other's records in an age where they reckon people go to the movies less than they used to.

I'm seeing a screening on Monday (tomorrow) night. I am pumped. I hope it doesn't disappoint... I've been watching Batman Begins again and I must say it isn't all as great as I remember it :/

That may be true for North America but now there are more theatres in the rest of the world.

That may be true since the director pointed out that he made the first Batman movie in order to prove to others that he could make a successful Batman movie. Nolan suggests that this new Batman movie allows him to be more creative since he doesn't feel he needs to prove himself because of the success of the first movie.

I'd like to see it on the big imax screen but really I don't like going to movies much, can't smoke, laydown, stretch out. soooooo... as soon as a decent cam, r5 or screener comes out its on.

It's funny how these blockbusters keep breaking each other's records in an age where they reckon people go to the movies less than they used to.

I'm seeing a screening on Monday (tomorrow) night. I am pumped. I hope it doesn't disappoint... I've been watching Batman Begins again and I must say it isn't all as great as I remember it :/

Not hard to break sales records, when a movie ticket costs 5x what it used to when I was a kid. Even if half as many people are going.

NB - If you've seen the trailer then this post is spoiler free.

Now that this is out, what did everyone think? I think it did a lot of things well but got a terrible number of things horribly wrong. I'll elaborate later but here are some of the parts I didn't like;

-No human aspect to the Joker. I'm not talking about an origin story- being an advocate of chaos is not motive enough for anyone, no matter how utterly mad they are, going to the elaborate lengths he does in the film.

-Batman was even shallower (if possible) than in Batman Begins. His gruff voice became tedious and he played almost an accessory role to what is going on. For that reason I am very glad the word 'Batman' is not anywhere in the title.

-The pacing was all wrong. The first act was far too bloated, and the final act far too rushed. The whole Hong Kong business could have been excised altogether and the time spent elsewhere. A very emotional arc in the second half of the film, which I wont spoil, doesn't really develop- there isn't enough time left to flesh it out. I was at the point where I knew I should be feeling something, but didn't really connect emotionally. The reason, I think, is because the emphasis on certain events was all wrong.

-A number of really cool shots (not scenes) from the trailer were replaced with takes that were less visually interesting. Minor gripe.

-The finale with the Joker was just pathetic. A terribly un-spectacular way to end 2 and half hours of build up.

What I did like was the grand plot and strong allusion to the title and central theme throughout. However, like I just said, the time was distributed all wrong, and the important parts not made significant enough. The emotion wasn't conveyed as well as it should have been, especially for a film as overly tragic as this. Also ideologies were thrown around, characters were flippant, and no one, not even the martyrs, had a terribly good reason for believing what they believed or doing what they did.

Gah go see the movie so I don't have to worry about spoiling too much. I realise how vague all this sounds right now. Overall though I was disappointed and I don't think that is because I had high expectations (which I did). It's because despite all the good things about the film which I loved and conveniently didn't mention, and despite the millions of positive reviews, the makers of The Dark Knight bit off more than they could chew. TDK needs at least a DVD re-edit before I'd even think about considering it for the title of 'best Batman film'.