Warhammer Online Content Slashed Before Launch

In the latest of an ongoing series of interviews with MMORPG.com, Mythic Entertainment VP and General Manager Mark Jacobs has dropped big news on the Warhammer Online fanbase: major features are being culled from the game in order to make their Fall launch deadline. In short, the capital cities for the Dark Elf, High Elf, Orc, and Dwarf factions will not be in the game at launch. The Human city of Altdorf and the Chaos Inevitable City will be the only Capital cities in the game. This is an enormous change, seemingly changing much of what we know about the game's core of RvR gameplay.

Additionally, four classes are being removed, deemed to be in a condition unsuitable for launch. They are:

* The Choppa (Greenskin)

* The Hammerer (Dwarf)

* The Blackguard (Dark Elf)

* The Knight of the Blazing Sun (Empire)

As the website notes, all of these are melee classes and two of these were intended to be the primary tanking classes for their race. This leaves the Empire and Dark Elf races without a dedicated tanking career, possibly limiting their contributions to end-game PvE content. Jacobs moved immediately to try to curtail the obvious rumor-mongering: "This has nothing to do with EA ... they had zero input in this ... They don't even know about it. It's not a discussion we would have with them."

4 out of 6 capital cities and 4 major classes cut just before launch? This could be a crippling blow to the so-far impressive looking MMO.

Source: Massively.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive looking yes, but thus far, until they get all their crap together, it is literally a WoW clone from fellow testers. Funny that Warcraft got most of it's inspiration from Warhammer and WH mmo ends up being a WoW-like clone (thus far anyways, until all the content they want is in).

I dunno... I don't think you can really accuse anything with Elves and Orcs of ripping off something else... they are just spitting out fantasy tropes that have been around for a 100 years.

But yes, it seems odd to market something so stylistically similar in the same arena as WoW, the current ultrapopular genre-defining phenomenon.

I believe this to be an urban legend, but Blizzard was sued by Games Workshop about Warcraft 1 (Orcs & Humans) for taking some liberties from GW's Warhammer Fantasy Battle. There's pretty much this other urban legend that Starcraft was originally suppose to be a Warhammer 40k RTS but never got the rights from GW. As Warcarft O&C was supposedly be a Warhammer Fantasy Battle game but never got the rights to it.

Of course this was practically 10 years ago, and at the time, the Warhammer circle was much bigger then it is today. There might be some truth to this as Game Workshop did Fantasy Battle and 40k nearly 10 years before the releases of Warcraft and Starcraft.

The part about Warcraft is true. They weren't sued, but WC1 was developed with Warhammer in mind although the rights were later denied.

The Starcraft idea was just Warcraft in space though- I don't think it was as direct a ripoff of 40k as it might seem.

The part about Warcraft is true. They weren't sued, but WC1 was developed with Warhammer in mind although the rights were later denied.

The Starcraft idea was just Warcraft in space though- I don't think it was as direct a ripoff of 40k as it might seem.

Well we've got Terrans (Space Marines + Imperial Guard sans the fanaticism), Zerg (Tyranids) and Protoss (Eldar). Although they've evolved in different ways, especially Protoss from Eldar, you can't help but draw parallels.

You've got generic humans, generic insect aliens, and generic super human psychic religious race. The last one is less generic than the other two, but definitely done in several places before.

As per the content slashing. I think it's a pretty serious blow to the game. I think enough people will send them angry letters that they'll put at least the classes back in, even if the classes aren't really amazing.

Also, yes, it's a lot like WoW. A lot of good features were taken from WoW, and a lot of bad features were avoided. This is the same thing WoW did when it came out, taking the basic MMO game and altering some of the frustration out of it.

Well we've got Terrans (Space Marines + Imperial Guard sans the fanaticism), Zerg (Tyranids) and Protoss (Eldar). Although they've evolved in different ways, especially Protoss from Eldar, you can't help but draw parallels.

Remember, at the time of Starcraft's release it's lore wasn't really fleshed out as it is today. After it ran it's course, now one could say that it's parallels with Warhammer 40k have slid a bit since it's initial release in 1997.

Same with Warcraft, if it wasn't for it's (really expanded) lore, it would probably still hold it's place as that RTS game that happens to rip off WHFB.

(WH Fantasy Battle came first before 40k, so yeah, that's just saying)