Final hours for Microsoft's Windows XP

Windows XP will not be sold by Microsoft from today – although there are a number of loopholes that means the chirpy little operating system will remain a key product.

Yesterday was the final day that the major OEM manufacturers are allowed to sell computers with only Windows XP installed as the OS.

Source

MS has extended the support window for XP to 2014 too, meaning those who don't want to use Vista should never really need to.

I guess that all of this doesn't really matter either way for me. I'm sure people either have bought computers with Windows XP already installed, or have the Windows XP Installation Disc somewhere back in their closets if they ever need to use it again.

Does this mean if we run out to buy laptops with XP installed they should have been dirt cheap?

Windows XP kills everything else, why bother taking it off the line until something better is there, oh yea!, money.

Windows XP kills everything else, why bother taking it off the line until something better is there, oh yea!, money.

Well, according to Microsoft, the guys making this decision, Vista is better.

Let's hope there is a less-bs approach to Windows 7.

It won't be entirely gone, as corporate buyers will still be buying computers with XP preinstalled. Most companies around the world don't want to buy a whole new lot of more expensive, more powerhungry computers just to run an OS that gives less.

Vista does not suit the corporate model of needing to run in-house applications on the bare minimum computer.