Best Artist for certain characters

In your opinion, which artists do the best job at creating a character when you open up and read a comic?

I shall start.

Superman:

No one does a better Superman then Curt Swan, he defined Super from the fifties to the 80's. Best Superman artist EVER, and probably my all time favorite artist.

Action_Comics_242.jpg

Action_Comics_243.jpg

Jimmy_Olsen_35.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always liked Jim Lee's x-men and spiderman stuff

I also liked Todd McFarlaine's turn at spiderman.

spiderman1cover.jpg

that book was going for over 500 bucks at one time. yes I sold mine :P

My favourite is George Perez. This is the only artist that can draw any superheroes under the sun and draw it well. My Infinity Gauntlet series drawn by him was still kept under mint condition by me. The best ever.

Have you been reading more Superman comics or something? Dang, Curt Swan's stuff looks pretty good. I love how he didn't over-whore any details like most Superman artists (or artists in general, for that matter).

Have you been reading more Superman comics or something? Dang, Curt Swan's stuff looks pretty good. I love how he didn't over-whore any details like most Superman artists (or artists in general, for that matter).

Yeah I have because of Smallville.

I like how you appreciate Curts art. A lot of artist just don't get superman, they either make him retardedly roided or too pretty boy. Curt look is timeless and classic. It's realistic and magical at the same time.

You can tell Alex Ross was inspired by Curts take on Superman. His face, mature look, hair, jaw, handsomeness, build etc is perfect. It's like a mix of his original debut with classy colorful twist to it.

By the way, George Pere might be pound for pound the best artist ever, every character has such a different/defined facial feature its crazy. Some artist like Jim Lee makes most of his characters only distinguishable by costume and color. A lot of them have the exact same face almost. Only character that is really distinguishable that is drawn by Jim Lee is Gambit I think. Regardless, Jim Lee is awesome talent for sure.

Check out Geaorge Perez JLA Avengers cover, perfect example of his undeniable skill.

JLA-AvengersCrowd.jpg

JLA_Avengers_1.jpg

I hate Rob Liefeld. Everytime he draws Deadpool, he makes him always wield daggers like a Crocodile Dundee wanna-be or a satanist.

Plus his way of drawing is complete sh!t. Over proportioned bodies and muscles. Pointy as hell elbows.

cable5.jpg

See? Crap.