Doom 4 to be shown at E3... Xbox 360 exclusive?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a next gen Hexen. Who ever made the originals.

Uh... That'd be id Software. Okay, maybe Raven helped. I can't remember.

Hexen was the direct sequel to Heretic, although you didn't play as the last survivor of the Sidhe (your elven hero in Heretic) or even on the same world (for reasons which are explained exquisitely in the series backstory (some cool stuff about a guy piloting a ship through the ether of space and finding out that the blackness was demons clammoring to come through the wall at the end of the universe (they're on the other side). Oops, he crashed into the wall and 3 demons made it through the crack; The Serpent-Riders).

Making Doom 4 an action-oriented successor in the vein of 1 and 2 would be a significant step backwards in game design. Essentially, it'd become a Quake or Serious Sam clone, something I'm not exactly up for.

I enjoyed Doom 3's psychological horror. It toyed with your mind in every way it could imagine, leading you down deadend hallways pursuing whispered cries for help, or providing innocuous-looking doors which tried to devour you when you opne them.

I can see the advantages of retaining the horror elements of Doom 3.

I only remember walking in the direction of ONE whisper of help that led to a dead end in Doom 3 though. Where were these innocent looking doors that tried to devour us though? ;)

Only 2 memorable moments in Quake 4, when you start the game, and when you end it, the middle felt worse the a grind too me.

Yes, I agree with that one! The final boss of Quake 4 was interesting although it reminded me of Doom 2's boss too.

Although the big problem with FEAR is the whole MIDDLE act is just BORING. They REALLY killed a lot of the ideas for that act. Some good parts, but it dropped faster then a thai hooker. Aren't you glad the 3rd act was practically revived the game?

Middle act is just boring? What sort of ideas did they kill for the middle act? What made the middle act of FEAR so bad? :peopleseybrow:

Middle act is just boring? What sort of ideas did they kill for the middle act? What made the middle act of FEAR so bad? :peopleseybrow:

The middle act = the practically the whole Office segment of the game. With your flash on and constantly moving. It's good for come out of the darkness frights, but beyond that, it's terrible.

Quite frankly I found the entire game to be pathetic, FEAR was highly overhyped. The multiplayer offers nothing new and is VERY boring too.

Agreed 100%.

Was it the time slowing thing? Or the horror? I don't know where all the hype came from but seriously why. It wasn't the most innovative or and by far was not the scariest game out at the time.