Doom 4 to be shown at E3... Xbox 360 exclusive?

The lack of love for the PS3, would be due to the fact that Carmack expressed his disdain for the multi-core architecture in the 360 back before it's launch, he certainly can't have any love for a bastardized multi-core Cell (1 core with what is it, 6 SPUs? SPUs are the equivalent of a math co-processor on early x86 CPUs. They've got to be a pain in the ass, ala Sega Saturn when multiple main processors would have made people say WTF).

Only fanboys rant about any given system, REAL gamers own them all if they can afford to. All the systems have their drawbacks, but even though I want one, I can see why so many devs are having problems harnessing it's full power........it's an advanced Sega Saturn of the 21st century, with a Sony logo on it.

Only unlike the Saturn, we've seen the first 2 years of sub-par development (Sony's fault for not fawning all over 3rd party devs with as much help as they possibly can) from 3rd party devs, but 1st party studios delivering decent first go titles. The next year SHOULD be good for titles on the PS3, provided Sony continues to support their devs well enough, especially new ones.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lack of love for the PS3, would be due to the fact that Carmack expressed his disdain for the multi-core architecture in the 360 back before it's launch, he certainly can't have any love for a bastardized multi-core Cell

That may have been true then but doesn't that video suggest Carmack has changed his mind enough that he would be willing to release an id software game on the PS3 next year? :P

The lack of love for the PS3, would be due to the fact that Carmack expressed his disdain for the multi-core architecture in the 360 back before it's launch, he certainly can't have any love for a bastardized multi-core Cell

That may have been true then but doesn't that video suggest Carmack has changed his mind enough that he would be willing to release an id software game on the PS3 next year? :P

Sure, but you can bet your ass ID won't be the ones porting it. They didn't even port Doom 3 to the original Xbox. Vicarious Visions did.

It's quite possible they won't even do the 360 port, but if he's speaking about it directly, maybe they will.

And it WILL be a port, theres no way in hell it wouldn't come out on PC. ID is a PC software house first and foremost.

To clarify-

1) id Tech 5 is being developed multiplatform because that is where the market dollars are. That much was stated at its unveiling.

2) RAGE is announced for PC, PS3, and 360, although no one knows who is porting what.

3) Doom 4 is announced for PC, Xbox 360- again no one knows who is porting what yet, but that will be announced at E3.

4) The PS3 has 7/8 SPUs enabled. That is essentially 7/8 cores to program to. Given market share and what not, why the flock would you bother jumping through the hoops required to cater to that sh!t if you didn't need to? The PS3 Quake Wars debacle comes to mind straight away...

Only for the money, id probably wouldn't do the porting themselves to PS3 because of Carmack's distaste with multi-cpu architecture. At most id will do what it's usually done, get someone else to port it even though the engine is being made to support PC, 360 and PS3, the console ports will still be no doubt be made by another company.

I'm an iD Software lover. I'm excited.

I liked Doom 3, but it was obvious that the game could have been better. In my opinion, while a horror-aesthetic is great, Doom 3 should have been more about action then about the chills, but the game was in fact the other way around. Furthermore, most of the horror constituted of cheap scares, such as monster-closets, bumbling about in overly dark locations for too long, and demons appearing behind you. If you play Resurrection of Evil, you will notice that they tried to address this with more action scenes, and to an extent I think it worked.

In my opinion, Doom 4 should be more like Quake 4.

I loved Quake 4. I loved every second of it. All the old-timers on here would know that, prior to its release, I thought Quake 4 would be a disaster, because I didn't like Raven or the games they produced.

How wrong I was! The beauty of Quake 4 was that it relished in simple, pure and arcade-like gunplay, and that all of the action set pieces were exhilarating, as opposed to most other FPS, where you might get a handfull of exciting action sequences dotted amongst mostly boring corridor to corridor find-the-red-key-card levels. I seriously thought all the action scenes in Quake 4 were memorable!

And a word about monster closets - I still love them. But, they only work in games that don't take themselves overly seriously. They didn't work in Doom 3 because the game wanted you to take it seriously.

id tech 5 is a cross platform engine that runs the same code with the same data for PC, XBOX 360, PS3, and Mac so there is no need to do any porting in the old sense. Read about id tech 5 or watch last year's QuakeCon videos before spewing nonsense. If the game is not coming out on PS3 it's not because of a technical issue, it's a marketing issue. Maybe Microsoft paid them to keep it exclusive to MS systems. Maybe MS is publishing the game since id software isn't beholden to any 1 publisher although they have a good working relationship with Activision. If it is being published by Activision then it will come out on all systems just like CoD4.

Or the most plausible situation is that that site is not accurate at all. I mean I think they said that HL2: Ep 3 is going to make an appearance there which it is not.

But about the game itself, I'm excited for this since I love Doom. I love the first 2 and like Doom 3. I'm sure id software learned from their mistakes.

Making Doom 4 an action-oriented successor in the vein of 1 and 2 would be a significant step backwards in game design. Essentially, it'd become a Quake or Serious Sam clone, something I'm not exactly up for.

I enjoyed Doom 3's psychological horror. It toyed with your mind in every way it could imagine, leading you down deadend hallways pursuing whispered cries for help, or providing innocuous-looking doors which tried to devour you when you opne them.

I'd like another go at the FPS survival horror angle rather than what would amount to another run-and-gun shoot'emup. I just hope they give us duct tape this time.

What I'd really like to see, though, is a reboot of Heretic. Anyone else want to kick D'Sparil's ass again?

I'm an iD Software lover. I'm excited.

I liked Doom 3, but it was obvious that the game could have been better. In my opinion, while a horror-aesthetic is great, Doom 3 should have been more about action then about the chills, but the game was in fact the other way around. Furthermore, most of the horror constituted of cheap scares, such as monster-closets, bumbling about in overly dark locations for too long, and demons appearing behind you. I seriously thought all the action scenes in Quake 4 were memorable!

And a word about monster closets - I still love them. But, they only work in games that don't take themselves overly seriously. They didn't work in Doom 3 because the game wanted you to take it seriously.

I agree with you about Doom 3 but I didn't think THAT highly of Quake 4 though. They still could have put more tactical lights on the weapons. There were only two guns that even had tactical lights and they were only the pistol and the machine gun. I was surprised the shotgun didn't even have a tactical light considering that they're commonly found on police shotguns today! I was also surprised by the number of dark areas in Quake 4 too.

I don't care much for monster closets; they don't appear to be all that effective when you compare them to scary scenes from F.E.A.R. - First Encounter Assault Recon.

Although the big problem with FEAR is the whole MIDDLE act is just BORING. They REALLY killed a lot of the ideas for that act. Some good parts, but it dropped faster then a thai hooker. Aren't you glad the 3rd act was practically revived the game?