The Diablo III Thread

Blizzard Entertainment has a history of protracted teaser campaigns in the build up to a new product announcement. Anyone remember the elaborate unveiling of Starcraft: Ghost in 2002, or the Starcraft II reveal last year? Anyway it looks like they're upto their old tricks again.

The following pictures have been posted as the splash page to Blizzard.com, Battle.net and all other Blizzard games sites and updated each day. Presumably there will be 5 of them, and they will lead up to a reveal of a new title at the WorldWide Invitational this Saturday the 28th. Remember that Starcraft II was announced at this event last year. This year, it seems as though the long awaited Diablo III will be announced, but so far nothing is certain except for there being a new game announcement.

In a question and answer session that concluded this year's GDC Paris, Pardo was asked directly if he could talk more about "the new game" that rumours have strongly suggested will be Diablo 3.

"So you want me to announce the game before our announcement?" he said. "No offense, but I think there's like 300 people here, and I'll be ripped apart by 8000 people there [at the Invitational] if I pre-announce it - but it's going to be really exciting. I think everybody here will be really excited about the announcement."

The images have new hidden runes in the ice each day, as well as Lost-like numbers and a cryptic image hidden in the CSS.

Edit (28/06/08): The new title announced is, in fact, Diablo III.

d3logo_490.jpg

Teaser Trailer

Gameplay Demo Part 1/2

Gameplay Demo Part 2/2

Official Site: Blizzard.com/Diablo3

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A section of this so-far unknown image has appeared in the CSS code each day. There look to be 6 parts, with four parts corresponding to the 4 days past revealed so far. Each file name has a word and a number as part of it.

The 4 words so far are Cold, Icy, Tundra and Cavern, which all describe place names from Diablo II's Act V (Frozen Tundra, Icy Cellar, Drifter Cavern and Cold Wastes).

The numbers are 4, 15, 16, and 23, which are 4 of the 6 Valenzetti numbers from Lost (4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42).

Huh? Make of all this what you like. Here is the picture;

penguin-day4.jpg

I reiterate- huh?

Any thoughts about all this? If you want to catch up on the discussion so far, head to;

www.diabloii.net

www.diablofans.com

Needless to say these are the sites I watch because I desperately would want to see Diablo III announced. A bit of trivia to throw in is that DiabloFans.com was, until a couple of months back, found at Diablo3.com. Blizzard politely asked them to vacate the domain and the owner complied... coincidence?

Some other coincidences are the recent series of (terrible, seriously gawd-awful) novels - The Sin War - exploring something that happened at the end of Diablo II, and the recent Diablo II no-cd patch and Ladder Season.

My thoughts are that I don't care. They're just going to tell us in two days, I'm not going to try to decipher hidden cryptic messages. It's amazing that people find stuff like this, though. Who out there actually searched through the code for a second picture?