New Diablo II Ladder Season

Diablo II, possibly my favourite game of all time, has just had a Ladder Reset on Battle.net. This means all the characters already on the server were switched to non-Ladder and everyone and the economy can start again from scratch. Incidentally, the 1.12 patch that accompanied this disabled the CD check.

Anyway, seems like a good time to get back into it. Anyone want to join me this season?

[hype]Diablo III being announced June 29[/hype]

Hmm I would, as I love the game.......but I obtained it by no so pay money means.

What precisely entails "online play"? Are there items not found offline? New areas?

Basically, WHY should I play online? I may buy the game if it's worth doing so.

There are a few minor new areas where you fight the new end-game bosses (which you might probably never end up getting to do), but other than that not many new areas.

The big part is the item economy- there are crazy items that you will need to trade for simply because you will never see a drop if you're on your own, and then some which only drop on the realms. The good ones offer altogether new skills and spells. My Necro, for example, could teleport over an enemy and drop the 40 skeletons / revives on it, transform into a vampire and cast Fireball, Meteor and Firewall all just because of the gear it had. Other items trigger new unique quests etc.

Then there is the PvP, but your ass will be getting handed to you unless you spec out a PvP build from the beginning... Questing together is otherwise more fun, since on Hell some of the things are far too hard to do on your own, and the whole drop-in drop-out LFG thing is easier to manage than in most MMOs.

To sum up, not many new areas but a sh!tload of new monsters, bosses, items and skills can only be had online. Not to mention whatever new things crop up in this new patch- stuff is always added even in the minor patches.

• 3 weeks later...

btw, I thought I'd mention I installed this again, and the latest patch does NOT disable CD check. The game still asks for the play disc on a full install.

Edit: This requires reading the patch note (Wow, didn't know there was one till I dug in the install dir) which then tells you to manually copy over any mpq files that still remain on the play disc.