Resolution Problem

Exp44

Hey, it's me again, this time I've got a resolution problem. I had been running at 1024x768 (disgusting, I know), and someone told me I should try a higher resolution so I was messing around with the resolutions my graphics card (GeForce FX 5700) had to offer. Obviously, since the graphics card is much more recent than my dated monitor, the card has a lot of resolutions my monitor cannot handle. I eventually landed on 1280x1024, because it was the highest my monitor could display without distorting text. In fact, any higher than that resolution and my monitor gives me an "Input out of range" error. So the next day, after a shutdown, I turn it on, and apparently my card didn't like me messing with resolutions so it defaulted to the highest resolution possible, which my monitor couldn't display. So I hunt around online and find the VGA mode fix. But that is apparently a temporary fix because the next day the same thing happens. I did not have time to figure out why, so I just did the VGA mode fix again. Eventually my brother ended up unplugging the computer when he got the error message (he doesn't know how to turn it off by simply using the keyboard), and he restarted it, and this time when it loaded up, it loaded in 1280x1024, and he didn't have to do anything. I don't know if that permanently fixed it because I haven't had a chance to restart it. So what I'm wondering is, when my brother restarted it, did the computer go back to the last known working configuration? Keep in mind all he did was skip the disk check by pressing F8 (I told him to press it so he could get the bootup options screen, but he did it too late), and then it loaded up fine. Hopefully when I get home today and turn it on it will load up correctly, otherwise I'm stuck.