VERY BAD NEWS for Nintendo Wii Homebrew and Emulation!

Alpha

From tehskeen.com

blacklistedpu5.jpg

Following Sony's and Microsoft's lead at deterring individuals from running unsigned code on their own personal property Nintendo has released a new System Update (v3.3) which deletes the Twilight Hack, prevents you from running it, blacklists Trucha Signed discs and blocks Datel's Freeloader. Both Sony and Microsoft have taken steps in the past to prevent users from running unsigned code on their video gaming consoles.

The Twilight Hack aka Chainloader used an exploit in The Legend of Zelda - The Twilight Princess to allow amateur coders and their fans to run home made games, emulators and applications not designed or endorsed by Nintendo (referred to as homebrew). This new system update will remove the save game used to run the exploit and will prevent users from copying it back over to their Wii.

One of the major uses of the Twilight Hack was to install the very popular Homebrew Channel. This custom channel allows people to run homebrew stored on a SD card inserted into the Nintendo Wii's Front SD card slot. Once updated you can no longer install this custom channel, but there are no reports with this new update removing or preventing people from running the channel if already installed.

This new update also blocks Trucha Signed discs. The Trucha Signer would assign a valid key to a modified game disc allowing you to boot it like a normal one. The most common uses for Trucha signed discs was to boot homebrew executables or custom edited games.

Lastly, Datel's mass produced "Freeloader" which would allow users to play games that weren't intended to be run in their region (USA, Europe, Japan, etc ...) has been blacklisted and will no longer work.

Oh man, this is horrible news. Nintendo has banned homebrew, emulation, Datel's Free Loader, just about everything. I'm sure the cause of this outrageous behavior is because of the ability to recently download/play Virtual Console games onto your Wii. This definitely made Nintendo second guess their lax stance on homebrew / hacking on the Wii. Anyway, if you're still having fun with homebrew on the Wii, perhaps this may not be the best time to upgrade to the latest system update. :(

I think the better question is, who didn't see this coming?

Indeed. Knowing Nintendo's long-lasting stance on emulators and their own IPs in particular, this was expected.

Darn, there goes my chance of hoping to get the exploit working on my parents Wii and play homebrew. :)

Oh well, won't be long until a new method is found. I don't think the Wii is locked down as furiously as the Xbox360 or PS3 is.

Looks like the Twilight team has fixed it.

Game on!

Cool, nice to hear. I'll hopefully pick up a copy of TP and download some homebrew to test out. We already have an SD card so we're all set with that. :)