Free MC Boot Released for PS2

It's too big to attach :D

I attached it in my post. Not sure what restrictions for size you have with attachments, but it's only 212kb.

I only have 109k, as a lowly Premium Member. That's what comes of not spamming my post count up for the last 4 years :ph34r:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tested and working perfectly. I can now put my PSX exploit trigger disc away. AND disc access works just fine on my PS2, I put my uLaunchELF on there as the bootloader, and proceeded to run Cogswap, and fired up a backup just fine.

Aight, so I'm looking into buying a brand-spanking new PSTwo and a HDD specifically for it. Coupled with this and HDLoader, would I ever have to use the laser?

Slim PS2's don't work well with external HD's. The loading times are slow and the game compatibility is nowhere near that of what you can get on a Fat PS2. No matter how you look at it, the smarter way to go is with a Fat PS2, if you want to play backups.

Be prepared for a total rush of complete n00bness...

- How do I get this onto my memory card?

- If I do somehow manage to get this onto my memory card without burning down my house, is there some way I could load ISOs off of an HDD without buying any other equipment? (I have a fat PS2 and a 160GB Maxtor IDE HDD, btw)

Don't skimp on the details, please. :P

- If I do somehow manage to get this onto my memory card without burning down my house, is there some way I could load ISOs off of an HDD without buying any other equipment? (I have a fat PS2 and a 160GB Maxtor IDE HDD, btw)

Alls I know is, once you get the exploit onto your memory card, you should try running HDLoader with it.

1) You need another exploit, or action replay, or access to a modded PS2 so that you can put it on a card.

2) You need a Network Adapter as well to connect the HDD. How cheap you find one on eBay is down to pure luck.. I paid quite a bit for mine and that was almost 2 years ago.

Aight, so I'm looking into buying a brand-spanking new PSTwo and a HDD specifically for it. Coupled with this and HDLoader, would I ever have to use the laser?

AxL- you cannot run HDLoader on a Slim PS2. It's not a matter of compatibility being less or anything- you just cannot run it at all without some crazy aftermarket hardware (Combo).

You can use USBExtreme, but it's a completely different program, uses different HDDs and its compatibility is piss poor.

Get a Fat PS2 used if at all possible. once you have the exploit on an MC it doesn't even matter if the drive is dead- you can just use HDLoader and be up and running.

I can't for sure say how others do it, but I bought a PS2 Action Replay MAX and used it to get the IDE on my memory card. With that already in place, I simply ran the Free McBoot installer and popped uLaunchELF into the BOOT folder Free McBoot creates (BOOT.ELF your loader must be named).

I'm not sure how to do it otherwise, but theres got to be instructions on that forum linked to in the first post.

Yes you can use HDLoader to run games off the HD, but quite frankly I find that silly. You'll easily fill that 160GB drive with several A titles that utilize a DVD9 for instance. And dumping to the HD is pretty friggin slow. You'd be best off putting oft played titles on there, and running others from disc.

IDE? You mean ELF? Basically anything that can boot an ELF for you on the PS2 will do the job- you can just put the file on a USB drive and plug it in and boot it from there.

Also barely any PS2 games use DVD9 and almost none of the ones that do are actually more than 4 or 5GB. So space is not an issue- most are sub 1GB. Dumping to the HD is faster than burning discs if you connect it up the IDE cable and use WinHiip too.

Finally it cuts on drive wear, but if you don't care about that the load times are insanely better and avoids the need to swap discs ever.

I got all the exploit files together, including the psx original, then made the iso + burned. I then managed to get a lend of a Swap Magic disc, booted the Independence exploit installer, and that's that. I had a backup MC too, so once I had it set up I made a copy over to the other card just in case.

I was always under the impression that HDLoader referred to an external USB hdd, it seems not. I was looking forward to just dumping all my games onto my external Seagate, especially now my laser is fading :D

I just priced a network adapter and they still retail for £35 here! wtf. I think I'll give it a miss :P

Edited by gavin19