Metal Gear Solid 4 requires 4800MB Install

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would someone be courteous enough to explain to me why the flock do we have to put up with ridiculously sized HDD installs on a console like the PS3, when the damn system uses Blu-Ray discs as its primary medium?

Would someone be courteous enough to explain to me why the flock do we have to put up with ridiculously sized HDD installs on a console like the PS3, when the damn system uses Blu-Ray discs as its primary medium?

Because data is read off the DVD-ROM in the 360 faster than from the BD-ROM in the PS3. Blu-ray isn't an advantage for games- it is just an enormous amount of data to seek through to load the content needed at any given time.

This is why all those multiplatform games without installs take much longer to load at each loading screen on the PS3, and why games like Motorstorm contain multiple copies of the same data on the disc to help the laser locate the right spot.

And Sony just couldn't be bothered to put in a faster BD drive... they had to have know that data seeking takes a long time - longer than most are willing to put up with.

Because data is read off the DVD-ROM in the 360 faster than from the BD-ROM in the PS3. Blu-ray isn't an advantage for games- it is just an enormous amount of data to seek through to load the content needed at any given time.

This is why all those multiplatform games without installs take much longer to load at each loading screen on the PS3, and why games like Motorstorm contain multiple copies of the same data on the disc to help the laser locate the right spot.

so how come games on the ps3 don't go back to using dvd ? or is the ps3 drive slow at reading dvds too?

so how come games on the ps3 don't go back to using dvd ? or is the ps3 drive slow at reading dvds too?

Sony knew the BD drive would be a major selling point, especially for those who were more interested in picking up a cheapo BD player, even it was detrimental to game performance. Plus there was the whole, wow it holds 25gigs, the games are going to be 3x as good as the 360!!

Even if they went back to DVD now, which I'm sure they could, not to mention that a lot of PS3 games would fit on a DVD9, it would be seen as a setback for them.

Someone over at NeoGaf has posted the in-between-chapter install times for MGS4, the total install being 4.6Gb.

This comes at the same time as an in-game conversation between Snake and Otacon is revealed where Otacon is telling Snake he doesn't have to change disks because of the capacity of Blu-ray.

As the Metal Gear Solid 4 street date was broken by Wal-Mart last week, spoilers and in-game have inevitably made their way onto the internet.

Spoilers through the link. Watch the video here.

By Mike Bowden

8 Minutes = first install, when you start the game.

Then before each act, the time it takes to install is as follows

Act 2 - 3 mins

Act 3 - 3 mins

Act 4 - 2 mins

Act 5 - 1 min

I dont mind one bit. Devil May Cry 4 took Much longer altogether. This game in particular couldnt fit on a DVD9 anyway so Blu-Ray or Multiple DVDs were the only options. The Installs are definitely not as bad as everyone is making them out to be.

Most PS3 games can fit on DVD9s. As I said, most have duplicate data to help with loading. The reason they don't publish games on DVD9s is because it would be counterintuitive with Blu-ray being pushed as a selling point.

The same was done with the PS2, where some games used CDROM format because they could actually fit on a CDROM.