Metal Gear Solid 4 requires 4800MB Install

Topic title. MGS4 requires almost 5GB of hard disk space just to play. 3GB at the onset, and 2 mini installations of 900MB each during the course of the story. More unfortunate installations bs for the PS3.

gmsa.jpg

PS. Can this not become a system bashing thread plz- its just news.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS. Can this not become a system bashing thread plz- its just news.

Damn your eyes!! I had multiple quotes at the ready :ph34r:

Seriously though, I don't see the problem with these installs. I'd rather GTA4 had an install on the 360 to make it smoother. Is the average PS3 not equipped with an 80GB hdd anyway?

Actually, especially outside the US, the 40GB one is far and away the most common SKU. Here in Australia, for example, all our bundles come with the 40GB PS3 including the MGS4 bundle and the 40GB is far more common to find on shelves. The price for the 80GB is still more than $900AUD so I suppose that's why. :ph34r: It would be similar in price in Europe at least.

I don't mind installs as long as they're optional. Because consider deleting some old installs to make space to play MGS4... and then the next minute wanting to play DMC4 again. You'd need to delete something else and wait 20 mins for it to install before you could get to the title screen. Which kind of goes against the simple style of console gameplay.

The other thing is, GTAIV and DMC4 both prove on the 360 they could be done without installs... so why not have it as an option? Longer load times or waiting for an installation sounds like a fair option to give to the user. The BD-ROM drive in the PS3 must be realistically even slower than most people think.

Okay, I don't like this one bit. I don't care if the console is a PS3, XBOX 360, or PS4, and XBOX 720.

The point of the matter is consoles should have NO installing. That's what computers are for. Otherwise, there is no difference between the two. The whole point of buying a gaming console is to be able to pop in the game and play it immediately!

Okay, I don't like this one bit. I don't care if the console is a PS3, XBOX 360, or PS4, and XBOX 720.

The point of the matter is consoles should have NO installing. That's what computers are for. Otherwise, there is no difference between the two. The whole point of buying a gaming console is to be able to pop in the game and play it immediately!

The PS2 was originally intended to be a multimedia device rather than a straight gaming console. Initially plans were to extend it's capabilities to something resembling a PC. This, of course, failed, but the PS3 succeeded in creating an environment with near-PC level interactivity.

While in theory the Blue-Ray drive should be able to handle the speed, what with being considerably faster than the 360's would-be HDVD drive, those games which require installs sport polygon counts and textures that would greatly bog down the experience if everything were to be loaded from the disc. Before you biatch that the 360 did it alright, the 360's renders are of significantly lower quality, numerically speaking.

Besides, have you taken a look at the underside of your PS2 discs lately? Despite the built-in shock protection of the PS2, and your doubtless extreme care to not leave the disc out or feed it to a passing dog (I'm looking at you, rental store customers), I'm thinking the bottoms of some of your discs are looking pretty scratched up due to laser passes (Check out FFX. On 3 seperate discs, theres a nearly identical wave pattern where the laser went for an FMV). Installing to the hard drive lessens the chance of a disc being scratched through normal use.

I end with this: If you're so worried about space, buy a new hard drive for your PS3. You can swap it out with standard PC drives. You did know that, right?

Edited by Chibi Kami

Woah! Haven't gamers become quite accustomed to load times since the days of the ORIGINAL Playstation? Wasn't the last console to skip load times the Nintendo 64 since that console was the last one to use cartridges? :ph34r:

Woah! Haven't gamers become quite accustomed to load times since the days of the ORIGINAL Playstation? Wasn't the last console to skip load times the Nintendo 64 since that console was the last one to use cartridges? :devilboy:

Load times are different from installation times. :clapping:

The PS2 was originally intended to be a multimedia device rather than a straight gaming console. Initially plans were to extend it's capabilities to something resembling a PC. This, of course, failed, but the PS3 succeeded in creating an environment with near-PC level interactivity.

The difference is none of the planned expanded uses for the PS2 were to the detriment of it as a gaming machine.

While in theory the Blue-Ray drive should be able to handle the speed, what with being considerably faster than the 360's would-be HDVD drive, those games which require installs sport polygon counts and textures that would greatly bog down the experience if everything were to be loaded from the disc. Before you biatch that the 360 did it alright, the 360's renders are of significantly lower quality, numerically speaking.

Both the PS3 BD-ROM and the 360 HDDVD-ROM are 2x. Same data rate. However the 360 doesn't read games from its slow HDDVD attachment. Polygons don't take time to load, only textures do, and the PS3 has less VRAM to store them in which would suggest less total data to load.

Also the renders (?) in the 360 are not of a lower quality- DMC4 is identical in resolution and framerate. GTAIV runs at the same resolution but at a higher framerate than the PS3. It suffers popin- but that is different to image quality and rendering. Rendering is done by the CPU base don what is in RAM- it has nothing to do with disc access at all. When the 360 loads from discs there is sometimes popin- the 'render' quality doesn't change.

Besides, have you taken a look at the underside of your PS2 discs lately? Despite the built-in shock protection of the PS2, and your doubtless extreme care to not leave the disc out or feed it to a passing dog (I'm looking at you, rental store customers), I'm thinking the bottoms of some of your discs are looking pretty scratched up due to laser passes (Check out FFX. On 3 seperate discs, theres a nearly identical wave pattern where the laser went for an FMV). Installing to the hard drive lessens the chance of a disc being scratched through normal use.

No it doesn't. Discs are scratched by mechanical parts, not the laser lens. It has no physical contact with the disc. PS3 games that are installed still need the disc inserted and still keep the disc spinning while playing- it never winds down. So it causes the same disc wear as anything else.

I end with this: If you're so worried about space, buy a new hard drive for your PS3. You can swap it out with standard PC drives. You did know that, right?

Yeh, and the point being made is that consoles should not be like PCs. I shouldn't have to suffer the inconvenience of installing things, and shouldn't have to buy additional hardware for a game console.

Well, if it enhances the gaming experience, I don't mind HDD installation. I do wish X360 have this option. I have 120GB of space which i do not know what to do with it........

Well, if it enhances the gaming experience, I don't mind HDD installation. I do wish X360 have this option. I have 120GB of space which i do not know what to do with it........

Yeah, I thought 120GB was a bit excessive myself. Sure just do what you normally do with a hhd with a load of space on it.. fill it with pr0n :devilboy: