Xbox 360 backups

Hi I know on a xbox 360 you can upgrade the firmware on the dvd rom so it plays backups without the need for chipping on the older versions, but does this work on the very latest one meaning im going to buy one brand new in the shop, is it possible that a newer version will be slightly updated from the older modules.

Thanks

as far as I know all the dvd drives can be flashed. its just a different process for each one. after you get your xbox360 identify which drive you have and head over to xbox-scene.com and look through the tutorial sections for specific instructions.

BenQ drives require soldering. Anything else I believe is pretty much "plug n play" with regards to flashing.

That's incorrect. I think there is only a very special case that BenQ requires soldering and I think it depends on if you want to flash it with a computer that doesn't have a VIA/nVidia chipset. But don't quote me on it.

Other than that, you can flash the BenQ fine without soldering. Check out Textbook's tutorial.

The flashing itself is VERY HARD TO DO!

Just a warning, even with a Tutorial you could fry the system.

oh its not that hard. just have to double checks EVERYTHING before you start.

BenQ drives require soldering. Anything else I believe is pretty much "plug n play" with regards to flashing.

That's incorrect. I think there is only a very special case that BenQ requires soldering and I think it depends on if you want to flash it with a computer that doesn't have a VIA/nVidia chipset. But don't quote me on it.

Other than that, you can flash the BenQ fine without soldering. Check out Textbook's tutorial.

You are correct, but I, won't touch a motherboard with VIA anywhere on it, and I don't do NvIdia so buying a board with their chipset makes no sense.

In any case without either of those chipsets (Highly likely given the number of available chipsets) you WILL have to solder a switch.

You are correct, but I, won't touch a motherboard with VIA anywhere on it, and I don't do NvIdia so buying a board with their chipset makes no sense.

In any case without either of those chipsets (Highly likely given the number of available chipsets) you WILL have to solder a switch.

What's wrong with buying a VIA PCI card? You can use it once and then take it out. They're less than $20. :clapping:

they are on ebay all the time for like 15 bucks shipped.

When I had my first 360, I can't remember what the drive was, but it needed a PCI card with that chipset and I could not buy one locally at all. I just gave up on it and decided to stick with Live. Now on my second (no RROD, I just sold the first one), I simply don't use Live. Online gaming just holds no interest to me. I grew up playing games that focused 90%+ on the core single player experience, and didn't waste resources on online considerations. I guess that's why I like Oblivion so much.

Now I'm thinking about flashing my drive, although I have yet to open this one, but I can't do it. There's only a handful of games that I would want to play anyway. The main reason though, is that because of DRM, I need to be connected to Live to get Oblivion DLC to load. I have researched this, and unless you have had a faulty console, you can't get the license moved to a new console. Yes, you can redownload the DLC for free, and it will work, but only with a Live connection to verify it's usage.

The last I understood, connecting to Live with a flashed drive would get you banned. This would leave me without my DLC for Oblivion. Is this still the case, or do you actually have to be playing a game online to get caught?