2008 Review of the PS3

Gouken

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember Sony was the new kid on the block in the PSX era. It was competing with Nintendo (SNES and N64) and Sega (Mega Drive and Saturn) at that time, and both were established brands. Not to mention crap like the 3DO... Although it ended up winning and selling 100 million units, its first year isn't surprising.

Both the PS2 and PS3 owe a lot to the PlayStation brand that the PSX earned the respect for.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2...ll&weeks=82

That's a chart from a non-biased site (or so I've heard). It shows that in the same time span the PS3 has outsold the PS2 for a bit. Of course we all know the PS2 sold like hotcakes starting around this time.

Anyways, so enough of comparing charts, what about the topic? Did anyone like the article or even read it?

Edited by Gouken

Just too bad the Nelson figures aren't released to the public anymore.

It has come a long way but I do not think it is the best blu-ray player on the market (as an affordible one, most likely yes), but the prices in blu-ray players is dropping as well.

Online infastructuer, while centralized (Good), it still needs alot of work to become a top tier service to match Live's Gold.

Well written, but I'm still waiting for the games.

I for one, am getting sick of the MULTIMEDIA BOX craze. I want a GAMES CONSOLE, get rid of this multimedia CRAP, that's what I have a PC for, and that's what HTPCs are for.

GTFO and stop charging me for stuff I don't want. This is probably half the reason the Wii is selling so well.

That's a chart from a non-biased site (or so I've heard). It shows that in the same time span the PS3 has outsold the PS2 for a bit. Of course we all know the PS2 sold like hotcakes starting around this time.

Anyways, so enough of comparing charts, what about the topic? Did anyone like the article or even read it?

break it down by major region:

america

Japan

Europe

total other

the only place the PS3 has sold better then the PS2 is Europe. and that was only 2 small humps. admit it, your claim that the ps3 has sold better then the ps2 is complete crap.

break it down by major region:

america

Japan

Europe

total other

the only place the PS3 has sold better then the PS2 is Europe. and that was only 2 small humps. admit it, your claim that the ps3 has sold better then the ps2 is complete crap.

Well lets see, at the time I saw those figures it was selling better, then it slumped, then it sold better. Keep in mind that I've owned a PS3 since nearly the beginning so my head is garbled up with all sorts of news and figures I receive from GT and VG. It's not crap, it's just not relevant now.

Will people stop trying to poke holes in my statements (which I never said was fact, but is by what I see now) and just read the damn news?

Edited by Gouken

I for one, am getting sick of the MULTIMEDIA BOX craze. I want a GAMES CONSOLE, get rid of this multimedia CRAP, that's what I have a PC for, and that's what HTPCs are for.

:clapping: I was thinking the same thing. I haven't used any of my systems to play a single movie or music or stream or whatnot. I use them for games only.

I read the article all the way through, yes it was really well written and pointed out how the PS3 has been improving. The PS3 "could" be the best someday.

walmart is giving a $100 gift card with purchase of any blueray player. including PS3. that may be incentive for me. I'm still thinking it over. It would be a no brainer if it were piratable.

GTFO and stop charging me for stuff I don't want. This is probably half the reason the Wii is selling so well.

That's because you are capable of using your PC and/or a HTPC. I know a lot of people I know can't play an avi because of a missing codec. What's a codec pack they say? What's x264? What do you mean convert it to DVD format, how do you do that? etc etc

So many people I know bought a PS3 primarily because of it's multimedia capabilities, like it seems have a lot of it's user base. They just want a system that will play these avi, mp4, hd content etc natively, no questions asked, no complications.

Personally I don't have a HTPC. My Xbox1 w/XBMC and 360 play virtually any file I throw at them. Yes, sometimes I need to tweak/convert, but the fact that I don't have to have a separate HTPC just to play/stream multimedia content is a big plus.

You have to remember Sony was the new kid on the block in the PSX era. It was competing with Nintendo (SNES and N64) and Sega (Mega Drive and Saturn) at that time, and both were established brands. Not to mention crap like the 3DO... Although it ended up winning and selling 100 million units, its first year isn't surprising.

Both the PS2 and PS3 owe a lot to the PlayStation brand that the PSX earned the respect for.

Totally agree :(