Linux and WPA

Cindy

Today I totally ruined my Linux (Xandros) notebook. I was messing around with some wpa supplicant but could not get through the whole process because of all the errors, so I needed to restore everything :D

Xandros seems to have problems with WPA-PSK connections. Sometimes he's connecting by accident, but you can never depend on it. I know there are programs available which you can install so he will support all kind of connections, but I can't find them...

Does anyone know anything that will work?

Well for me I just use the default manager for that in Xubuntu on my laptop(which I got for $65)

but if it does that for WPA wouldn't it do that by WEP as well?

Doesn't work if I use the default manager, but WEP is working fine.

Maybe the problem is in the fact I can only choose WEP or WPA in the connection menu and not specify it?

well I have not used other distros, but you do need to specify the

SSID

WPA type(in your case PreSharedKey)

the password or key, and whatever else it asks.

And that's the problem, I can only select plain WPA (so no PSK or any other type), fill in the key and key index.

I searched for information about this, and they say it must support all kind of wpa even you can't see it directly when you take a look at the software.

Argh....it's frustrating!!

I thought I knew something about linux but I can't figure out what to do now....

do you know what kind of chip your wlan device uses? (e.g. ralink, net gear prism2, etc) manufacturer or brand don't usually matter

based on my experience, wireless can be a biatch to set up. I still have yet to connected to my wpa protected wlan (under linux) using a usb dongle with a rt2870 chip although I think I'm close.

[edit]if your router is set to allow TKIP or AES encryptions, then it shouldn't matter which one you specify under networkmanager

do you know what kind of chip your wlan device uses? (e.g. ralink, net gear prism2, etc) manufacturer or brand don't usually matter

based on my experience, wireless can be a biatch to set up. I still have yet to connected to my wpa protected wlan (under linux) using a usb dongle with a rt2870 chip although I think I'm close.

[edit]if your router is set to allow TKIP or AES encryptions, then it shouldn't matter which one you specify under networkmanager

I know it has a Atheros chip, don't know which one exactly, have to check it when I return home.

I'm not sure what to do with this information now ;)

My router settings are ok.