Video Gaming: The 7th Generation

Piracy Killed the Dreamcast

And it didn't kill the PSX, PS2 and X360? In fact, piracy DID kill the N64 because you can't PIRATE it.

That's the only console killed by piracy.

Difference here is, Dreamcast was the only system of the bunch that didnt need any sort of Modding to play Pirated games. THey figured GD-ROMS were enough protection. SO everyone was burning games left and right. Barely any profit for Sega or the developers.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it didn't kill the PSX, PS2 and X360? In fact, piracy DID kill the N64 because you can't PIRATE it.

Difference here is, Dreamcast was the only system of the bunch that didnt need any sort of Modding to play Pirated games. THey figured GD-ROMS were enough protection. SO everyone was burning games left and right. Barely any profit for Sega or the developers.

Uhhh, people is doing the same thing for PS2 and X360. Do you think I will buy a PS2 or an X360 if there is no piracy?!? The same reason PS3 is languishing especially in Asia as there is no piracy. I seriously hope that Sony wakes up and don't go down the path of N64. Even Wii was not spared of piracy and do you think they are doing something about it?

People say that, but piracy was not what killed the Dreamcast. Hell, people weren't even sure which machines could boot backups until long after the system was dead.

Uhhh, people is doing the same thing for PS2 and X360. Do you think I will buy a PS2 or an X360 if there is no piracy?!? The same reason PS3 is languishing especially in Asia as there is no piracy. I seriously hope that Sony wakes up and don't go down the path of N64. Even Wii was not spared of piracy and do you think they are doing something about it?

exactly y i haven't gotten a ps3 yet, well beside the price tag

People say that, but piracy was not what killed the Dreamcast. Hell, people weren't even sure which machines could boot backups until long after the system was dead.

I was under the impression that only DC machines made prior to 2000 could boot backups, amirite?

I was under the impression that only DC machines made prior to 2000 could boot backups, amirite?

No, mine was manufactured in January of 2000, it runs backups just fine.