Ever wonder if ...

This topic is ment so you can tell your computer stories of someone who did....

For example:

I years ago, when running win 98 happend to pull the plug on when running FDISK.

It said "do not turn off your computer" well, pulling the plug didn't help.

It was a sony labtop and when it booted, the middle of my drive was full of bad sectors. Everyting that accessed that portion of the disk caused the computer to freeze. For example: defrag, scan disk, formate, etc

I prosponed the issue by splitting the drive up into three section(Windoes 1g, bad drive 6g, the rest 13g)

Anyway, one day I used Shredder(Macaffee) and selected shredding the drive 21 times. A few hours later when I came back to the computer, the drive was fixed.

The only time I did anything silly was when I had an ancient Kaypro CP/M machine.

Well, the floppy drives had been playing up for ages and I finally worked out that the power connectors were loose.

Took it apart, tightened the connectors properly, put it together again, turned on... and smoke came out

I'd plugged one the connectors one pin over by mistake... blew a few chips, including the one that interfaced with the keyboard.

Well, you can't get Z80SIO chips any more, so that was the end of that.

I plugged one the connectors one pin over by mistake... blew a few chips, including the one that interfaced with the keyboard.

Your the only other person I've heard of that had this problem.

My relitive, pluged in the mouce (regular, not usb) and the pin crossed over with the logic and when we booted it said:

"Keyboard not detected, press anykey to continue" Then somehow i passed that..

"Mouse not detected, click ok to continue" I was stumped and ended up geting a new motherboard, because the logic chips to all external devices like usb/mouse/keyboard were fried.

You are probably right with the home models, the corporate/business ones are a different story, they were made to last.

I'm using one right now... (a Celeron 500) and the thing is built like a battleship, and weighs almost as much.

We had one that had been dropped, the solid steel back panel and a corner were bashed in... and it still worked.