Facebook Preparing For Redesign To Clear Clutter

I have alternating weeks of hating / tolerating Facebook. Which reminds me there are some wall posts I should be replying to...

This is what I don't understand about people that have online social profiles like Myspace, Facebook etc..

What makes you hate them? Where does emotion come into play? I just don't get it. To me it's all fun, I never have been "mad" at my myspace/facebook. Is that wrong? Am I missing something?

What is the big deal?

Why do people put so much into these things? Whats to hate/love?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Control is the big deal.

As someone who apparently has no reservations about laying all the sordid faces of their life online for all to see, why would it be a big deal to you?

On the one hand I like social networks for communicating with people I know. I don't put more than I'm comfortable with up, and everything is fine. But I can't control if someone tags me in a photo, say, or writes about me being somewhere I shouldn't have been. Or voices my views on something or someone that I would rather have kept private.

This isn't different to any other kind of gossip except insofar as all of this can be traced back to my profile, and me as a person. People I don't know, or don't like, can find out too much about me without my permission and without me even putting the information up there myself.

That is what I hate about social networks; that is why its a big deal. But without a concept of personal privacy none of that makes any sense, right?

Control is the big deal.

As someone who apparently has no reservations about laying all the sordid faces of their life online for all to see, why would it be a big deal to you?

On the one hand I like social networks for communicating with people I know. I don't put more than I'm comfortable with up, and everything is fine. But I can't control if someone tags me in a photo, say, or writes about me being somewhere I shouldn't have been. Or voices my views on something or someone that I would rather have kept private.

This isn't different to any other kind of gossip except insofar as all of this can be traced back to my profile, and me as a person. People I don't know, or don't like, can find out too much about me without my permission and without me even putting the information up there myself.

That is what I hate about social networks; that is why its a big deal. But without a concept of personal privacy none of that makes any sense, right?

I do have a concept of personal privacy. People only know what I allow them to know. Still can't see how that is a reason to hate a website, seems more like you need to talk to your friends about what the put up on there sites or who they tag in photos.

I know couples who have argued over facebook and myspace.

They get jealous of any attention their partner gets, which by rights is a fair statement if you have been together a while, women love to attention if you join up as a woman (fake profile) and a few decent photos (realistic stuff) apparently they get asked LOADS of insane questions and guys randomly try to pick up on them.

Same for guy if you have that look about you I figure..

I hated facebook recently but only casue I split with the EX so I just blocked her and some of her friends, it pisses you off though when they add one of your friends and you see them flirting each other with you in front of you're eyes, seriosuly got my back up one time.

I don't know. I've got a Facebook account, but like my blog, it's severely outdated and does not contain that much info on me. I think it's almost useless and a lesser way to waste time on teh intarwebz than say, visiting a forum, but I suppose it has to be good for something. I'm not much of a photographer, so I just get other people's pictures of me if I need them.

I know Bambi is the girl. Who is the other one?

Me..

and about the "control issue" well Ryan can testify Im more than slightly a private person. I find the simplest way of maintaining that, is to just have my profile on "Friends only" and the only friends I have on there are people I actually know, not just randoms that took a look at my pic and wanted an add. Easy as that.. If people dont have theirs set to private and add anyone or anything that comes along for "attentions sake" well then they have to get whatever comes along with the attention.. =)

Ya it is like they say you let who know what you want. I make mine public but I could careless. But it is safe you just got to know how to use it.

and about the "control issue" well Ryan can testify Im more than slightly a private person. I find the simplest way of maintaining that, is to just have my profile on "Friends only" and the only friends I have on there are people I actually know, not just randoms that took a look at my pic and wanted an add. Easy as that.. If people dont have theirs set to private and add anyone or anything that comes along for "attentions sake" well then they have to get whatever comes along with the attention.. =)

Mine's also set to friends only. And I strictly only have people I know in real life.

Ya it is like they say you let who know what you want. I make mine public but I could careless. But it is safe you just got to know how to use it.

True and everyone uses it for different purposes I just chose to simplify mine :(