U.S. Soldier Riddles Koran With Bullets In Iraq

An American soldier has been disciplined and ordered from Iraq, the U.S. military said on Sunday, for using a copy of the Koran for target practice at a shooting range near Baghdad.

Such an act of desecration of the Muslim holy book could inflame anger against the U.S. military presence in Iraq, but an Iraqi community leader told Reuters an apology by senior American military commanders had helped calm tensions.

Saeed al-Zubaie, head of a U.S.-allied Sunni Arab tribal council in the area where the Koran was found, said the book had been used as target practice. It was peppered with 14 bullet holes and offensive language had been scrawled inside, he said.

"I was feeling bitterness, but as long as they apologized we are OK with them. Our anger has cooled," said Zubaie, adding that Sunni Arab tribal units who work alongside U.S. forces in the area had threatened to quit unless the military took action.

The U.S. television news network CNN said U.S. commanders were met by hundreds of protesters when they went to the village of Radwaniya near Baghdad to deliver the apology.

Colonel Bill Buckner, a U.S. military spokesman, said commanders were ordered to swiftly investigate after Iraqi police found the Koran on May 11 at a firing range in Radwaniya.

He described the incident as "serious and deeply troubling."

"Coalition commanders have briefed local leaders on the results of the investigation and expressed their deep regret," Buckner said in a statement.

"They have also undertaken disciplinary action against the soldier who was involved and he has been removed from Iraq."

Besides being shipped out of Iraq, it was not clear what other disciplinary action was being taken against the soldier.

CNN, which said it was present on Saturday when U.S. commanders made the apology in Radwaniya, said the soldier had been dismissed from his unit. His whereabouts were not immediately known.

In his statement, Buckner stressed that the U.S. military respected Islam and the Koran.

CNN said when Major-General Jeffery Hammond, the commander of U.S. troops in Baghdad, and other officers arrived to deliver the apology to local leaders in Radwaniya they were met by hundreds of protesting Sunni Arab tribesmen.

"I am a man of honor, I am a man of character. You have my word this will never happen again," Hammond told the crowd.

"In the most humble manner, I look into your eyes today and I say, please forgive me and my soldiers," CNN reported on its website.

It said Colonel Ted Martin, a brigade commander, held up a new copy of the Koran which he kissed and touched to his forehead as he handed it to the tribal elders.

"I hope that you'll accept this humble gift," Martin said.

Give me a flocking break. If this happened over here and say someone from Iran shot up a bible. Do you think we would make a big deal of it or call for a apology? Hell no, so he shot it up big deal. This is what happens when soldiers get bored. We are trying to help them and be their saviors. But oh no don't dare step on someones religious beliefs. WHATEVER. Also the Brigade commander kissed the new Koran. Telling you if I was that commander I never would have no way in bloody hell.

Source HERE

Yes, you probably would make a big deal out of it. And that "saviors" bit could do with a second opinion. Also, keep in mind, Iraq is not America just yet. It's gonna take a couple more years before they import your Wal-marts, KFCs, American Gladiators and the growing atheism trend.

Not specific to this, but in terms of shooting things, why should a book be held more reverent than human life? Disciplinary action because he was meant to be gunning Muslims themselves but not their holy text?

Humans and their hypocrisy. Yeesh.

Not that I'm saying he shouldn't be shooting either, either, but it's a matter of degrees, people.

Yes, you probably would make a big deal out of it. And that "saviors" bit could do with a second opinion. Also, keep in mind, Iraq is not America just yet. It's gonna take a couple more years before they import your Wal-marts, KFCs, American Gladiators and the growing atheism trend.

you obviously know zero about America. we're so damn scared to offend we'd give the Muslims federal grants and free bullets. hang the bullet riddled bible in a museum and call it art along with the jar of feces.

Just about everything wrong in this world can be traced back to religion of one sort or another, We'll be alot better off as a species once we get over believing fairy tales.

My opinion on Iraq is get the hell out they can't figure it out. We can train a fat teen into a killing machine marine in 6 months. but we are still after all this time struggling to get their military into shape. its ridiculous.

The one thing the Koran is good for is to be riddled with bullets since it was written by a false prophet.

It sounds to me like you know who the true prophet is.

IMO, this kind of crap causes wars. What do you think fueled the select few people in Iraq to switch to terrorism? The images of Abu-Grahib was the biggest motivational factor and that came out of John McCain's mouth. Some books are holy, you just got to deal with it, and respect it.

It would offend people equally if it was the Torah or Bible. It doesn't matter if you don't believe it, but it's also a test of your own morals. Can you demonstrate self control and reasoning that you might offend someone if you desecrate something that has meaning to people?

It's not about religion, it's about YOU.

i dont see why people get so angry over a piece of reading material, burning a book shouldnt but it always does offend someone, its not the book that should establish your faith in a god or what ever you believe thats should be in your own mind and heart that establishes that. im a christian but once again i repeat religion has got to be one of the leading causes of arguments and wars and a lot of other crap in this world.

Wow,

I never knew 1Emulation was so fueled with anti-islam sentiment.

maybe i should get out of here before i'm hung and quartered or something?

point in hand, when you've already killed close to a million citizens of a country (500 thousand children alone died due to sanctions on medications, PRIOR to the invasion), raped it's citizens , and so forth, the last thing you want to do is offend their religion.

then again, it's not like you respected their sovereignty, chastity, history, culture....etc , so why would i expect you to respect their religion. Saviors indeed.

And Jitway, stop being a hypocrite. Last i recall, i didn't see any Iranian soilders walking around here occupying the usa, and calling it "liberation".

When you see that, and someone shoots a bible, you WILL make a big deal out of it.