Aussie Driver Straps In Beer, Instead Of Child

An Australian driver has been fined for putting a seatbelt around a carton of beer instead of a five-year-old passenger, police said Tuesday.

Constable Wayne Burnett told reporters he was "shocked and appalled" to discover the driver's priorities when he pulled a sedan over on the Ross Highway south of the desert town of Alice Springs.

"I haven't ever seen something like this before," he said.

"There were four adults in the car, two in the front seat and two in the back seats and in between those adults there was the carton of beer strapped in with the belt," he said.

"The child was sitting in the lump in the centre, unrestrained."

The driver was fined 750 dollars (707 US) for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle and failing to ensure a child was wearing a seatbelt.

I always knew them aussies were strange. Must have been some Fosters...hmm good beer. Hey Robert was this you? :banghead:

Source HERE

I read this on the local paper today. Unbelievable. I mean sure, one must always protect the beer in potentially hazardous situations, but damn, your own child should still be the top priority.

Nice to see some parents with their priorities straight. It really warms my heart.

BTW, James once told me that Fosters is Australian for "Sh*tty beer." Is this true for all Australianseses or just connesuers?

I don't drink, so I wouldn't know which beer is best.

But Foster's can't be that good, because the first time I ever heard of it was to do with exports. None of my local pubs sold it.

"The driver was fined 750 dollars (707 US) for driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle and failing to ensure a child was wearing a seatbelt."

That's really cheap for driving an unregistered vehicle O_O