Generation 2: Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis

Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for original titles, I would say snes since it had a better graphics and audio

however, snes apparently had less ram and cpu power than genesis, so arcade ports weren't that good in comparison (also, the audio in genesis games was crap)

they both had what the other lacked (perhaps sega and nintendo made a deal?)

Note to GameCop:

Sega Genesis adn SNES are from the fourth generation.

GameCop might be referring to the generations after the Video Game Crash of 1983, which would effectively make the SNES and the Genesis/MegaDrive second generation consoles. Besides, many don't care or know about the games and consoles prior to said crash, the NES made video gaming truly mainstream. To these people, the NES was the advent of "true" video games and video games consoles.

Or he might not, but this explanation would enable GameCop to save face, at least.

their both great and probably the best time for gaming was to be had with both these consoles.

but for me the megadrive just edges it,as much as i like contra3,super ghoulsnghosts and all the rest.the megadrive with forgotten worlds,ghoulsnghosts,sonic,gunstar heroes......were just the best games at the time.but hey i owned both.

gone are the days when i payed £100 for an import

version of the original streetfighter2,a lot of money but it was worth it.

* Special chips expanded the console's "tricks" substantially, case in point, the SuperFX2 powering Yoshi's Island (sadly Yoshi's Island is the only game worthy of SuperFX2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtua_Racing

To be completely honest (despite my Sega fanboyliness), the Genesis was easily outmatched by the SNES.

The 68k processor was easily destroyed by the SNES's impressive graphics capabilities and CPU with some fancy DMA features.

The sound processors on the SNES are impressive to say the least (SPC700 + a sexy custom DSP). The Genesis had a cheapy ym2610 and a very poor sounding/outdated SN76496 (PSG).

The controllers were ok (standard SNES vs 6-button Genesis), but nothing horribly impressive compared to current controllers.

The only thing that stopped the SNES from being a complete slam-dunk was Nintendo's reluctance to allow uncensored/crippled M-Rated games on its consoles.

* Special chips expanded the console's "tricks" substantially, case in point, the SuperFX2 powering Yoshi's Island (sadly Yoshi's Island is the only game worthy of SuperFX2)

To be completely honest (despite my Sega fanboyliness), the Genesis was easily outmatched by the SNES.

The 68k processor was easily destroyed by the SNES's impressive graphics capabilities and CPU with some fancy DMA features.

The sound processors on the SNES are impressive to say the least (SPC700 + a sexy custom DSP). The Genesis had a cheapy ym2610 and a very poor sounding/outdated SN76496 (PSG).

The controllers were ok (standard SNES vs 6-button Genesis), but nothing horribly impressive compared to current controllers.

The only thing that stopped the SNES from being a complete slam-dunk was Nintendo's reluctance to allow uncensored/crippled M-Rated games on its consoles.

The Genesis controller was 6 buttons? :D

genesistk4.jpg

Genesis just alone for the controller and the games as well. Classics like Sonic and Eternal Champions were and still are classic games played today. I had both and my kids grew up with both. SNES had great games as well all the Mario's were fantastic as well as the wrestling games but for me Sega was the leader in games back then. They stunk in console making but ruled in games. Echo The Dolphin was another classic as well as DeCap Attack and who can forget Earthworm Jim or Toe Jam and Earl and true classic both versions. As well as all the sport games that Genesis came out with like NBA Jam. Also Mortal Kombat with the blood codes was truly revolutionary. Another great game just for Genesis was Vectorman a truly fantastic game.

The Genesis controller was 6 buttons? :D

genesistk4.jpg

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSPr...CONTROLLERS.JPG

Though I remember mine being a bit more like the 3-button.