Generation 2: Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis

Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the next few days or weeks, I'll be opening up new threads that relate to each supreme generation of gaming. In my opinion, the first generation would have to include the first Nintendo. The second generation would include Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. The third generation would include Sony Playstation and Nintendo 64, and so on.

So, seeing as how there is really no discussion on the first generation, I have begun the first thread with the second generation. Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis .... which console do you think was ultimately the better and more successful console?

------

My vote goes to Super Nintendo. The graphics were better, the gameplay was better, and the games were better. I never liked the 3 button (excluding select/start) controller for the Sega Genesis. I felt that a lot of great games had to be short served on the Genesis, whereas on the SNES, they were made to their full potential. I always thought that Super Mario Bros was 10x better than any Sonic game ever made. That's just my opinion and I'm sure MANY would disagree.

The Super Nintendo had it all, but I do admit that there were games like Shinobi that were simply too hard to resist on the Sega Genesis. Overall, Super Nintendo was my favorite. Every game I saw looked best on the SNES and felt the best on it. :)

There was one thing that always puzzled me though. For some games that were made on both consoles, more features were available on the Sega Genesis than the Super Nintendo. The only example I can remember is WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, which 2 extra characters were only available on the Sega Genesis. Perhaps the Sega Genesis had more memory available than the Super Nintendo? Let me know if you know something about it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sega Genesis because:

IT had better graphics, by far, NOT SNES

It was like buying an Xbox and a PS2, Its always better to get the Genesis (Xbox) version because its always the better version graphics/running wise

It had no censorship like SNES did

Growing up this was the first system I played almost constantly

I insist the add ons where cool

It plays doom better than SNES.

I just know it better than the SNES, I can't list that many great SNES games

Sega Genesis because:

IT had better graphics, by far, NOT SNES

It was like buying an Xbox and a PS2, Its always better to get the Genesis (Xbox) version because its always the better version graphics/running wise

It had no censorship like SNES did

Lol. I assume you are being sarcastic here. Compare any cross-platform game and the SNES version always looks better.

Funny, just as GC mentioned about the old WWF game, one of my old personal favourites was WWF Royal Rumble on the SNES. It was only last week that I discovered that the Genesis versions of the WWF series had an edge on the SNES versions, at least in terms of content. Finishers, extra characters etc. Actually the WWF series is a good case in point. The SNES versions had noticeably better gfx, and undoubtedly better sound.

The MK series is another obvious example, although as you say Shiba, they were unfortunately censored, well the first one was anyway. From Wikipedia page on MK2 -

Unfortunately, due to the system's hardware limitations, the port lacked the graphics and sound of the superior Super NES port. Graphics are more grainy and not as brightly colored, and character shadows are all oval.

The main one that I remember was SF2. Praised beyond all recognition on the SNES, the Megadrive version didn't make it out until much later and had to make compromises (as usual) to get it to run smoothly. I clearly remember a big deal being made about the floors not scrolling properly, compared to the SNES version with it's Mode7 capabilities.

For the RPG lovers too I do believe the SNES was streets ahead with Mana, FF, Earthbound, Chrono etc etc etc. Admittedly I didn't own a MD until late in it's cycle but having had full romsets for both consoles for many years now, I can safely say that I'd settle for the SNES confident that I'm missing out on very little :)

Notable exceptions : Castle of Illusion, Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Shinobi, Shining Force, Streets of Rage, Sonic 2, Golden Axe and Comix Zone.

Perhaps the Sega Genesis had more memory available than the Super Nintendo? Let me know if you know something about it.

The Genesis had a faster processor so it was much better suited to 'quick' games like Sonic. It also allowed it to handle bigger sprites. That was the only advantage of MK2 on the MD, that it ran slightly quicker/bigger sprites.

I just read somewhere that the SNES dominated Japan but apparently the Genesis won out in Europe/USA, in terms of sales volume anyway. Surprised me.

Edited by gavin19

If you would have grown up playing SNES, wouldn't you like that system better?

They failed though, SNES avoided that mistake and just created N64

That's one game....

There are about as just as many good SNES games as there are GEN games.

I'm not a Genesis or SNES fanboy, but I just pointed out some things.

Well, GameCop... I'd say the first generation was Sega Master System vs. NES... the SMS won out in South America and Europe while the NES/Famicom dominated USA and Japan. The NES won without a doubt, everyone can agree on that.

Anyway, I'd say the Sega Genesis vs. Super NES generation is a draw. Both consoles had their titles that the other didn't and their ports are generally on par with each other or lacking in certain areas. This is completely understandable, because they aren't the same hardware at all. My friends loved coming over to my house (and others') for some Sonic or Streets of Rage action -- while I enjoyed going to their houses for some Donkey Kong Country and the likes. It gave everyone a fun rivalry where everyone won.

I did like the Super NES's controller a lot more though. :)

EDIT: I did vote for Sega Genesis, however -- just because it's what I owned as a child.

It's difficult because of time and type of games. The Genesis had some great games already before the Snes came out. But then at the end the Snes had better and more games. The Snes had censorship. The Snes had better Rpgs overall. The Genesis sports games were awesome. The Genesis was faster the Snes had better colors. I say it's a draw. No 16-bit collection is complete without games from both systems.

Edited by Tynvar

i give the nod to the SNES, better games than the genesis, better graphics, better controller, the genesis was a great system and if u played sports games then i dont see how u survived with out a genesis they did play a lil better on there.

SNES, because of a couple of things:

* Superior sound and graphics engine

* MODE7

* Awesome controller

* Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Final Fantasy IV

* Special chips expanded the console's "tricks" substantially, case in point, the SuperFX2 powering Yoshi's Island (sadly Yoshi's Island is the only game worthy of SuperFX2)