Mac users?

olaf

Which of you are Mac users? What model/specs?

I've got a crappy little iBook besides my main PC. It's a white Dual USB G3... 700 MHz, 256 MB, 20 GB, Tiger. I'm looking to buy a better iBook or PowerBook in the near future once my PC is fixed. Going to sell it off and just go Mac + mobile. :blink:

Just get an Intel Mac, and get on with the times. Less hassle with software too.

I'm actually not too worried about that... Firefox, iChat, Colloquy, BitRocket, GarageBand, iTunes, and QuickTime are all I really need. I don't really do anything on computers like I used to... not much of a power user these days. :blink:

I'm the same way now... :/

But are they still going to make PowerBook executables for much longer?

Well, as far as I understand (and I'm still a very big newbie when it comes to the Mac world), the main type of executable is a "universal binary" which covers PPC and Intel. However, with the introduction of Leopard they stopped supporting anything before a G4 processor (as in PPC)... with whatever new OS X build comes out, I would imagine there's a good possibility they might drop G4s. Can't be sure, but I'd like to hope not.

They dropped G3 because all of them were less than 867 MHz (this is the base G4 speed)... and lacked some certain graphics chip or something like that (which Leopard needs). It wasn't really about the PPC architecture getting dropped as it was other parts of the G3s. I don't really see them dropping G4s, it was just hypothetical/speculation.

Apple is known for abandoning previous hardware, it's part of their business model. that along with rabid fans who will pay out the ass for niche computers is what keeps apple afloat.

• 4 months later...