Saturn Emulation / Backups

I have two questions. Lately I've been into shmups quite a bit. I've played quite a few on the DC and arcade. I was reading this article saying that the Sega Saturn has some of the best shmups out there. Is there a good emulator for Sega Saturn? If I were to buy a Sega Saturn, can it read backups like the DC?

SSF is the best Sega Saturn emulator available.

For running backups on a Sega Saturn console, you need a modchip.

Thanks I was looking at what the best option is. I think a modded Sega Saturn is hard to find here. :)

I was reading this article saying that the Sega Saturn has some of the best shmups out there.

batsugun, radiant silvergun, battle garegga, strikers 1945, strikers 1945 ii, dodonpachi, etc.

:)

Thanks I was looking at what the best option is. I think a modded Sega Saturn is hard to find here. :)

I think Cinder sold or may still sell chips.

No modchip required. A simple 1 disc swap does the trick. You just need 1 original pressed disc to do the swap with. You must region patch the iso to your Saturn's region first though or else it won't work. SRP (Saturn Region Patcher) is one such utility. And yes, it is a great machine for shooters, especially for the likes of Batsugun with it being imperfecly emulated. Also, Soukyugurentai Otokuyo is a cracking shmup. Damn, I think I have every Saturn shmup available apart from the homo-eroticized Cho Aniki.

I was reading this article saying that the Sega Saturn has some of the best shmups out there.

batsugun, radiant silvergun, battle garegga, strikers 1945, strikers 1945 ii, dodonpachi, etc.

:blink:

I really like Ikaruga on the Dreamcast. After some research I found that Radiant Silvergun is somewhat Ikaruga like so I wanted to give it a try.