MGS4 Revival Trailer

Gouken

I don't know.... this seems like one of those must play titles but some of the stuff I hear makes me think twice. and is any one game worth 500USD? I don't think so.. I'm sure it will release on 360 in a year or so. I'll prolly just wait.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know.... this seems like one of those must play titles but some of the stuff I hear makes me think twice. and is any one game worth 500USD? I don't think so.. I'm sure it will release on 360 in a year or so. I'll prolly just wait.

You sounded rational until you said it might be coming to the 360.

like BK stated, MGS2 was ported about a year later. almost nothing stays exclusive these days. except first party titles.

that is good to know..... but I also heard Sony strong armed reviewers into not mentioning load times or cut scenes...

Konami actually gave a list of things they could not mention if a reviewer wanted to post their review before 6/12. Most gamers look at the final score anyways. But it would be nice to know the whole opinion of a review so I'm mainly going to read the reviews after the embargo is lifted.

Inky, please try and get the facts straight before posting. You may confuse others and then the false reports would flare up all over again. Albeit probably just in these forums.

like BK stated, MGS2 was ported about a year later. almost nothing stays exclusive these days. except first party titles.

Speculation is null at this point. Kojima and Konami have already stated that MGS4 is and always will be a PS3 exclusive. I don't know if Sony paid for this or not, but facts are facts.

What did Inky say that was confusing?

MGS2 came out for the Xbox as MGS2 Substance.

About the 90 minute cut scenes and that Sony had something to do with the embargo.

that is good to know..... but I also heard Sony strong armed reviewers into not mentioning load times or cut scenes...

Inky, please try and get the facts straight before posting. You may confuse others and then the false reports would flare up all over again. Albeit probably just in these forums.

what facts did I get wrong? I had read on joystiq about the 90 minute cut scenes. I haven't seen any update on that but I am taking BKs word cuz he hasn't ever steered me wrong before. mgs2 came to the original xbox about a year later. so it was konomi that strong armed reviewers not sony? OK its still misleading. I can understand if they say ; don't talk about this gameplay element or the bosses' they don't want to spoil. but not talking about load times, install times, and cut scene length is just hiding negatives. Like I said this is probably gonna be a must play for this generation. but the underhandedness going on is despicable. a reviewer shouldn't be pushed around by the devs. EVER.

what facts did I get wrong? I had read on joystiq about the 90 minute cut scenes. I haven't seen any update on that but I am taking BKs word cuz he hasn't ever steered me wrong before. mgs2 came to the original xbox about a year later. so it was konomi that strong armed reviewers not sony? OK its still misleading. I can understand if they say ; don't talk about this gameplay element or the bosses' they don't want to spoil. but not talking about load times, install times, and cut scene length is just hiding negatives. Like I said this is probably gonna be a must play for this generation. but the underhandedness going on is despicable. a reviewer shouldn't be pushed around by the devs. EVER.

Konami isn't forcing reviewers to do anything. They mainly wanted reviews to be as spoiler free as possible before launch. These reviewers didn't have to play the game and sign the contract, they could have easily said no until launch date but alas, everyone wants to get to the punch.

Problem is, the punch will be the same across the board. Talking about the same things people hated or loved. So really, it is best to wait until 6/12 to submit the review, because then the whole of a reviewers opinion gets out.

So you can think negatively all you want about it, but it's Konami's game and they're going to handle it whatever way they see fit.

As a matter of fact, here's an update:

Apparently, there's been some controversy surrounding the restrictions that Kojima Productions imposed on Metal Gear Solid 4 reviews. Remember when EGM didn't want to review the game because of these limitations? Ryan Payton contacted Kotaku to clarify the dev team's stand on why they had to give a leash on these reviews.

The long and short of Payton's explanation is that basically all they were trying to do is to protect the gamer's experience and hope that spoilers aren't unintentionally leaked by the reviewer. So for Kojima Studios, imposing a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) on these reviewers was the way to go.

Now the NDA was only for certain specific aspects of the game. Reviewers were asked to avoid spilling details about the technical side of things, listed by Ryan Payton as the following:

1. Install times

2. Length of cutscenes (the ending in particular)

3. Number of environments

4. Opening "movie"

5. Product placement

6. (Plus a half dozen story-specific items)

Looking at this list now, Payton says that it's actually a bit outdated and that he's able to clarify/confirm some of them. One of which is item #1 on the list. He says that MGS4 will have an 8-minute install requirement, and a couple of 2- to 3-minute installs between acts. Payton goes on clarifying more items on the list with the following (as emailed to Kotaku):

As for the cutscenes, reviewers are more than happy to comment on whether they're too long or short. We simply want reviewers to refrain from describing which scenes are long, thus spoiling some of the experience because players will know what to expect when a scene is unfolding.

I want to make it clear that, from today, reviewers are welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times, but we ask that they not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences...

But as for the next three items, we are still asking reviewers to avoid these topics. We want the opening to be a huge surprise for gamers, and knowing how many environments there are in the game, obviously, is a spoiler. These restrictions will remain in place.

Finally, we've asked reviewers to not write about some of the product placement because of some contractual agreements we have with third parties.

Makes sense. Some technical details could, after all, end up spoiler certain key elements in the game.

Psycho Mantis - Metal Gear Solid - Image 1Say, if someone reviewing MGS on the PSOne said "there's a boss in the game wherein you have to switch your controller into another port," that'd basically rob you off of some gaming experience right there (given of course that you haven't played MGS - good god, where've you been?). Well, the Psycho Mantis bit isn't so much as a story spoiler, but more a gaming experience spoiler.

So if you think about it, the gag orders for MGS4 reviews are indeed for your protection. And in case you find yourself doing your own review and maybe posting it on your blog or whatnot, it might pay to also keep yourself in check when spilling some details.

To check out Ryan Payton's full email to Kotaku, click the Via link below.

That's directly from QJ.net, who clearly states their source and provides links if you want them.

“Don't find fault with what you don't understand” - French Proverb

Edited by Gouken

I don't understand what is being disagreed on here.

But remember that first tanker trailer for MGS2? Kojima claimed MGS2 was an eternal PS2-only game back then as well. The only difference is now there is a much greater economic necessity to release on other platforms than there was then, when the PS2 was dominating.