LCD T.V. burn in questions.

SF2MJ

I just purchased a 32" lcd t.v.

It's an LG model number 32LB9D.

I called my lcd t.v. manufacturers and asked them if watching certain shows in 4:3 ratio (the ones with black or grey borders on the right and left side of the screen) can cause image-burn of the so-called borders.

They told me it can in the long term.They told me to just stretch the 4:3 shows to 16:9.

Some shows are filmed that way and if you stretch them to 16:9 they look awful.The other day when i spoke to them they told me if the borders are "grey" and not "black"...then that means that part of the t.v. is still active and won't cause burn in.

But today it's a different story.Do any of these people know what they are talking about?.What is the truth?.

I also play the xbox 360 on mine.I know you shouldn't leave still images on there for too long,so i always turn off the t.v. if i have to pause the game for a long period.

How long would you have to leave an image on there before it burns in?.Do lcd t.v.'s suffer from the burn in effect?.

Can watching 4:3 shows on a wide screen t.v. eventually burn in the borders on the left and right side of the screen?.

And is there a dvd you can get that you play through your lcd t.v. that white washes the screen to clear in possible image burn issues?.Like a maintenance dvd?.

Is there a website with all this info i can look at?.I have tried looking for an lcd t.v. tech help forum but can't find any.

Watching dvd movies that are filmed in wides screen still contain some kind of border at the top and bottom of the t.v. screen.Does that mean they will ALSO cause burn in,in the long term?.This all sounds ridiculous and confusing.

Edited by SF2MJ

LCD screens do not cause burn-ins, because of the technology that they use. You'll get dead pixels at most. CRT monitors are susceptible to burn-in.

While you might get some "ghost" images with exposure extreme colors and contrasts for a long period of time, these things are mostly temporary. This is not burn-in in the common sense of the word.

u r thinking of plasmas that can leave burn in, i happen to have plasmas .

Absolutely. ^^ CRTs suffer heavily from this too (like Agozer said). Most newer plasma screen tvs have protections built into them that helps stop burning (though I've heard of people getting HUDs from video games burnt into the screen during long hours of play).

They say that lcd t.v.'s don't have what they call burn-in...but they do have something similiar called "Image Retention".

So what you are basically telling me is that watching movies with borders and t.v shows in 4:3 format with the borders on the right and left of the screen won't cause "Image Retention" on my lcd t.v.?.

Could the manufacturers have told me that just to cover their own back sides?.In case something DID happen.Because they told me if i get a permanent image burn on the screen my 3 year warranty doesn't cover that.

Edited by SF2MJ

dude your tv will be ok . like iq said most of the newer plasma even have protection against burn in, u may have some ghosting but keepin a moving image and the tv it self will usually get rid of that. u only really get burn if u leave a still image up for hours. but if u r not doing research on your tv before u get it then u deserve the discomfort of not making an informed desicion, if u game get an lcd if u watch a lot of movies and regular tv get a plasma. if u r gonna game all day for more than 6 hrs at a time get an lcd.

I suggest you playback this on the monitor for awhile. While meant for fixing "stuck" pixels, it will rid you of any retention you may have (I've never encountered this, but theres nothing to say it can't happen).

You may also have your contrast set too high. Try turning it down, and see how things are after a few days. Contrast set too high, can cause this sort of artifact as well in ANY display.

Here is the video file, play it back in fullscreen for a good half hour or better yet, overnight if a short period of time doesn't help. - http://itasor.com/pixelmurder.MP4

Warning, may cause seizures! lol

I suggest you playback this on the monitor for awhile. While meant for fixing "stuck" pixels, it will rid you of any retention you may have (I've never encountered this, but theres nothing to say it can't happen).

You may also have your contrast set too high. Try turning it down, and see how things are after a few days. Contrast set too high, can cause this sort of artifact as well in ANY display.

Here is the video file, play it back in fullscreen for a good half hour or better yet, overnight if a short period of time doesn't help. - http://itasor.com/pixelmurder.MP4

Warning, may cause seizures! lol

Thanks for all your help guys.And thanks Cinder for that file.I don't hve any image retention or dead pixels.I just wanted to be on the safe side and ask about those sort of things and how to avoid them.

Edited by SF2MJ