Is it just me or is the PS3 starting to look better than the 360?

Alpha

The PS3 needs an exclusive Onimusha title.

I don't think any system needs another Onimusha title. :)

Onimusha 1 was great but after that, it sort of went downhill, like DMC :(

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats true but the way i was looking at it was more on the fact that 5%<40%. And just about all well produced electronics have lower then a 10% failure rate when done right. But ive read articles where is clearly says that This is Microsofts fault because they wanted to Rush the system out there. So what i was getting at is that since the RRoD is a known Fucck-up due to Microsoft wanting to rush things, this should be a Lifetime warrenty. Unless they will take EVERYONEs 360 back and replace them with Mobos that Do not have this problem, which we all know isnt gonna happen. Those 5% failure rates are usually a few systems that something went wrong, something sony/Microsoft or any other company could control. But the RRoD is a Known problem and the way they fix this is by sending you ANOTHER system that can just as easily get the RRoD. In that same article i mentioned earlier(Which i think was here that i read) It states that when u send the 360, u get another fixed console. So you could have sent in a Falcon mobo and then get a Fixed Xenon mobo instead of a FIXED system.

Home isnt a big concern, but all the other features are supposedly coming in future updates, and if they do manage to get in game, invites and in game XMB, then what??

And im just using the numbers your putting out there. So with that said, if the game manages to hit that 79.99 price tag, then they would profit even more because im STILL pretty sure that people will buy this game. And using the logic applied earlier, that would be 80 Million Divided by 3 = 27 million. Thats still much more then 10 Million. Maybe Sony is stupid enough to sell a system at a loss but i doubt Konomi would allow themselves to do the same. Specially to such a popular titles like MGS

1) Sorry, that doesn't answer my question to what I was asking before. Your answering with an opinion, not fact. What is a known fact is that early 360 models had a fatal defect, which Microsoft acknoledges. With the new 3 year warrenty, you can BS your way through if you have any problems. That goes for any 360 owner who bought the system any time between launch day and 12 months after it.

2) Home's features are it's selling points (or rather, points to get people to jump on Home then XBLive), and if we see them in future updates, whats the point in putting it out now? In fact, it was delayed because of it's features. Or it's lack of there of.

3) I didn't outright say MGS4 cost 10 Million to make, I said it costs somewhere in the Tens of Millions to make, meaning 10 to 20 Million. By your logic, the game breaks even by paying for it self, when it's split in god knows how many ways between multiple parties. I'm just assuming three because it's Sony, Konami and Kojima Productions. Selling a system at a loss is not stupid, it's a way to garner more sales. Konami would probably take the hit and cut off 15-20 dollars off the price tag as well since the PS3 is doing OK and not GREAT like how Sony & Co. expected it to be. Which means it would take more copies to break even. Less cost = great for consumers, bad for companies. It costs more to break even that way if you haven't figured it out.

1) Sorry, that doesn't answer my question to what I was asking before. Your answering with an opinion, not fact. What is a known fact is that early 360 models had a fatal defect, which Microsoft acknoledges. With the new 3 year warrenty, you can BS your way through if you have any problems. That goes for any 360 owner who bought the system any time between launch day and 12 months after it.

2) Home's features are it's selling points (or rather, points to get people to jump on Home then XBLive), and if we see them in future updates, whats the point in putting it out now? In fact, it was delayed because of it's features. Or it's lack of there of.

3) I didn't outright say MGS4 cost 10 Million to make, I said it costs somewhere in the Tens of Millions to make, meaning 10 to 20 Million. By your logic, the game breaks even by paying for it self, when it's split in god knows how many ways between multiple parties. I'm just assuming three because it's Sony, Konami and Kojima Productions. Selling a system at a loss is not stupid, it's a way to garner more sales. Konami would probably take the hit and cut off 15-20 dollars off the price tag as well since the PS3 is doing OK and not GREAT like how Sony & Co. expected it to be. Which means it would take more copies to break even. Less cost = great for consumers, bad for companies. It costs more to break even that way if you haven't figured it out.

1. You DO realize that the Falcon Mobo does get the RRoD right?? If not Please google it if you want. It took MS one whole year to finally get something SORTA right, and all they did was hand out some free xbox live cards and "Oh its ok now" The PS3 has been out for one year and Home isnt here = Unacceptable??, even tho Online play is fully functional and plays perfectly fine for free. You Mentioned Sony not being able to get its machine to cool efficientlyEven tho they are working on another Heatsink, while Microsoft didnt get it right the first(Xenon), second(Zephyr) AND third(Falcon) time. Alot of people are just allowing MS to mess up, and keep going. As if its ok that you spent 300 bucks on an unreliable system, no biggie.

Of course im answering with opinion, as are you.

2. Nobody really cares about home. Home is just an extra fancy thing to look at. What the consumer wants is In game XMB and Game Invites. Thats it. Home is free, so will most get it? Yea why not, but according to you Blu-ray was its selling points, now its Home?? Nobody will buy the PS3 JUST for Home. Thats flocking Retarded.

3. Ok so lets say it costed them 50 Million TOTAL to make this game. They STILL come out winning by selling JUST one million copies. And the game will sell more then 1 million, on top of the fact that the game will also be a system seller.

3. Ok so lets say it costed them 50 Million TOTAL to make this game. They STILL come out winning by selling JUST one million copies. And the game will sell more then 1 million, on top of the fact that the game will also be a system seller.

How do you figure that?

I would say Don is trying to justify the purchase of PS3 too much. I would go with solidus23's opinion. ENjoy whatever consoles that you owned to the max.

No need to compare which machine is greater. As for those that always think games defining the console, i am sure they have chosen the preferred console (Halo fans for X360, MGS4/GT fans for PS3 etc).

I skimmed the pages after my post and had the following thoughts.

The Wii has less games, but it also has a better good to crap game ratio, I'd rather have a few good games than lots of crappy ones. (and I don't care what kind of reviews any of these games are getting because game reviews suck ass now too, especially considering the general bias towards the Wii.)

I'm on my 3rd Xbox 360, 1st one DVD drive died, second one red ringed. The one I have now is probably about to die because its making all these loud grinding and clanking noises. All my GTA IV playing is definitely going to kill it. Oh well, I NEED GTA IV.

The rest of it I'm too tired to get into, I don't hate any of the three consoles, but they all have their problems. A lot of them. I continue to be an elitist PC bastard because of this /sarcasm. Most of these problems stem from the simple fact that game companies no longer care about games as much as they used to, they care more about money and are way greedier now.

but really, the consoles can't touch the online multiplayer of PCs/mod scene at all. Thats where most of the fun is now. (because single player games are half-assed 90% of the time now which is pretty depressing considering thats all we had not too long ago) Not just the gameplay either, patches take FOREVER to come out for consoles, COD4 was patched like 16 times on PC before it was patched once on 360. Usually you have to put up with crappy games for a long time if your lucky enough to even get a patch at all. That and I hate flocking gamepads for FPSes SO badly. (although I admit they are almost required for certain other genres)

So tired, I hope that made sense. My general thoughts of this generation so far are: The 360 is alright I guess, I don't see the need for a PS3 having a 360, I wish I had a Wii, and I still love my PC. I swear I don't usually think in rhyme.

The Wii has less games, but it also has a better good to crap game ratio,

the Wii has the worst good to crap ratio. there MAY BE 15 good Wii games, everything else is shovelware.

I regret buying a Wii with every bone in my body, it's a dust collector.

Wii has a number of good games countable on one hand, starting with Wii Tennis and ending with Smash Bros. Considering all the gimmickware that comes out for it I'd say the ratio is pretty skewed, but I see your point.

The Xbox 360 actually has a better ratio simply because there are less games out for it, as compared with the Wii. Seriously titles for that thing are in the many hundreds in Japan.

1. You DO realize that the Falcon Mobo does get the RRoD right?? If not Please google it if you want. It took MS one whole year to finally get something SORTA right, and all they did was hand out some free xbox live cards and "Oh its ok now" The PS3 has been out for one year and Home isnt here = Unacceptable??, even tho Online play is fully functional and plays perfectly fine for free. You Mentioned Sony not being able to get its machine to cool efficientlyEven tho they are working on another Heatsink, while Microsoft didnt get it right the first(Xenon), second(Zephyr) AND third(Falcon) time. Alot of people are just allowing MS to mess up, and keep going. As if its ok that you spent 300 bucks on an unreliable system, no biggie.

Of course im answering with opinion, as are you.

2. Nobody really cares about home. Home is just an extra fancy thing to look at. What the consumer wants is In game XMB and Game Invites. Thats it. Home is free, so will most get it? Yea why not, but according to you Blu-ray was its selling points, now its Home?? Nobody will buy the PS3 JUST for Home. Thats flocking Retarded.

1) Still didn't answer my question.

2) One of features to get people to jump :P

3) business sense! A game doesn't break even when it sells 1M copies, nor does it come out on top.

When talking business you have to factor in development costs, PR and advertising costs - those trailers don't make themselves - licensing costs from Sony, and publishing, pressing and distribution costs. But that is pretty irrelevant given nobody knows the dollar amount that MGS4 did or did not cost to make. The point is development alone is a single fraction of the overall cost.

Also when you calculate 1 million units sold x $60RRP = $60 million revenue, you're smoking something, that's for sure. 50% of the cut AT LEAST goes to the retailer and middlemen in distribution. As mentioned a cut goes to Sony, the publisher and the developer, but that's after all the salespeople get theirs.

Finally, to be 'successful' a title should earn AT LEAST twice its initial investment. That's dev + advertising + distribution. Breaking even? Not an option really. Breaking even is what closes studios - if a solid profit isn't being made that's just bad business.

But who cares if the business sense in this thread fails - the point is MGS4 cannot really turn enough revenue to generate a lot of profit if it stays an exclusive. 8 million PS3s worldwide... most of them bought as cheap BD-ROM drives... how many of those can really attach a copy of MGS4? Not enough, I say, to justify all the costs mentioned so far.