Is it just me or is the PS3 starting to look better than the 360?

Alpha

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, people are scaremongoring over the failure rates of 360s. Everyone I know has NEVER had their 360 do a permenet RRoD on them. A simple reboot is what all it took for it to get back on it's tracks. Alot of consumers don't bother to put it in a well ventilated area and their complaining about overheating issues? I tell you, if you want a product with a fail rate of 5%, then buddy, don't buy anything until the 6-7th generation, heck, don't even use any computer above a 486, that CPU is practically bug free now and NASA uses it! Nothing is perfect, that includes building a machine.

Just because it's doing better, doesn't mean it's for all the right reasons. You know the majority of users buying it? People who want cheap and affordable Blu-Ray players. Gamers for the PS3 make up about 40% of that ratio. Major consumers are more concerned about it being a glorifed and cheap Blu-Ray player that can also play games on the side and not the other way around.

"The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain. It applies to 360 RRoDs as well.

The only 3 people I know with PS3s just happen to have bought theirs for primarily that reason, to have a Blu-Ray player first, games machine second. Hell, I don't even think they have an ounce of interest in gaming.

Not to mention that here in the UK, the PS3 40gig is still 50% more expensive than the 360 Premium.

RROD is no reflection on the quality of the games or live, which is all that matters. If it melts, it's covered under warranty, big deal.

Edited by gavin19

Yes, people are scaremongoring over the failure rates of 360s. Everyone I know has NEVER had their 360 do a permenet RRoD on them. A simple reboot is what all it took for it to get back on it's tracks. Alot of consumers don't bother to put it in a well ventilated area and their complaining about overheating issues? I tell you, if you want a product with a fail rate of 5%, then buddy, don't buy anything until the 6-7th generation, heck, don't even use any computer above a 486, that CPU is practically bug free now and NASA uses it! Nothing is perfect, that includes building a machine.

Just because it's doing better, doesn't mean it's for all the right reasons. You know the majority of users buying it? People who want cheap and affordable Blu-Ray players. Gamers for the PS3 make up about 40% of that ratio. Major consumers are more concerned about it being a glorifed and cheap Blu-Ray player that can also play games on the side and not the other way around.

"The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain. It applies to 360 RRoDs as well.

I understand what you mean, but once again, This is still making me as the consumer more uncomfortable with purchasing this system. Even if the numbers arent as drastic as the first post you made, they still are very drastic. And at the price of 300-500 bucks, im looking to get my moneys worth.

So what youre all basically saying is, that the RRoD means nothing and shouldnt at all alter your judgment on which system you should buy?

I say it shouldn't. You run the risk of failure with anything you buy... accepting that risk shouldn't have anything to do with the product itself and buying / not buying it. As Gavin said, the RROD is no reflection of the system or its games. Those are the things that matter.

Bingo. The reason why we buy game consoles first is just that. Games. Sony's offering is nothing but titles bound to come out on 360 on the 3rd Party side of things. Companies these days, unless massively finacially backed, cannot turn a profit on one console alone. Case in point is DMC4. A PS3, 360 and a WinXP release so Capcom can turn a profit to cover dev costs.

I don't think Konami nor Sony will sell enough copies to cover MGS4 (which is some where in the Ten Millions), neither Square-Enix with Final Fantasy 13 either (26 Million USD & counting) even though both are must have titles for the PS3.

all of your bickering over who has the better system is pretty worthless. eventually the price of both of them will come down low enuff were most of us will own both, or just be early adopters like me who have nothing better to do with their xtra cash since they dont drink or smoke or anything like that than to buy all they systems lol. just be happy with the system ya got and STFU eventually in most cases now a days as a lot of post in this topic have said exclusives dont mean jack sh!t. a game will eventually end up on another system months to yrs better with something xtra that make u wanna get it even if u have the original. the devs gotta make a buck so u can rest assured while they are releasing an exclusive for one system they got slaves in the back making a port for the others. mark my words one day u will see a gears on ps3 and u will see a final fantasy on a 360. or something close to those titles.

all of your bickering over who has the better system is pretty worthless. eventually the price of both of them will come down low enuff were most of us will own both, or just be early adopters like me who have nothing better to do with their xtra cash since they dont drink or smoke or anything like that than to buy all they systems lol. just be happy with the system ya got and STFU eventually in most cases now a days as a lot of post in this topic have said exclusives dont mean jack sh!t. a game will eventually end up on another system months to yrs better with something xtra that make u wanna get it even if u have the original. the devs gotta make a buck so u can rest assured while they are releasing an exclusive for one system they got slaves in the back making a port for the others. mark my words one day u will see a gears on ps3 and u will see a final fantasy on a 360. or something close to those titles.

This COMPLETELY erases the need for a forum.

Wizard/BK: Yes, the 360 is most definitly in the lead with the better games for now, but still, what good are those games when you cannot play them?? WHen you do the warrenty, You get back another system that has just as much a chance of getting the RRoD. Theres no way to escape it. Pure luck. At any random moment.

So lets just say, you get REALLY lucky, your Xbox 360 has been working FLAWLESSLY for 3 Years. Then BOOM. RRoD. Is that 300-500 bucks well spent?? Sure theyre replacing the broken xboxs, but theyre all still liable to eventually fail. And this isnt something that is the consumers fault at all.

What about those 360s that scratches up Discs? That 3 year warrenty only covers RRoD.

And to compare Live is unfair since Live is a paid service, you'd better damn well expect to get top notch service if youre paying for it. All those things like Ingame XMB and Game invites apparently are coming to PSN for Free.

Also on the MGS thing, this is me just kinda thinkin about it since i dont know much on the economic system of the gaming industry, but MGS4 is a 60 dollar game, and the MUST HAVE of the PS3. So i can guarantee that the game will sell over a million and also it will sell the PS3 as well. So wouldnt 1 Million, 60 dollar games turn in more then 10 million?? Just a thought

WHen you do the warrenty, You get back another system that has just as much a chance of getting the RRoD. Theres no way to escape it. Pure luck. At any random moment.

So lets just say, you get REALLY lucky, your Xbox 360 has been working FLAWLESSLY for 3 Years. Then BOOM. RRoD. Is that 300-500 bucks well spent?? Sure theyre replacing the broken xboxs, but theyre all still liable to eventually fail. And this isnt something that is the consumers fault at all.

What about those 360s that scratches up Discs? That 3 year warrenty only covers RRoD.

So let's just say I have a PS3, with it's excellent 4~% Failure Rate and lo and behold, mine stop working after 3 years of practically flawless play. Sony's warrenty ended 2 years previously after my purchase and my store bought warrenty just ran out after 3 years of no problems. What do I do then? Do I send my system back to Sony so they can repair it for a fee ($200+ not counting S+H) or do I buy a new and improved PS3? Then let's say I go with the previous and it suffers a heat related problem, do I go through the hassle of doing it all over again? This time only covering the S+H costs? Then again because Sony can't get their act together of developing a machine that doesn't cool sufficiantely. Now what do I do then? Do I keep spending money on shipping and handling just for them to get it right or what? This mirrors the issues with PS2. My launch PS2 survived for years until one day it stopped working. This was 3 years after I modded it also. With my warrenty voided already (since it was already void after 12 months after I bought it) and not any of the ill-fated R production units, I would have spent more money for Sony trying to fix it then buying a new one. One of my friends had a SCPH-3000x R unit and instead of sending it to Sony, he just bought a new one because all the problems they had at the time.

What your saying applies to all electronics. There are no exceptions. And what about those sratched discs? Well for on, there was a class action suit against MS and they changed it, as seen with 360s with newer disc drives, so the problem doesn't presist unless, through machine or user error, discs end up getting stratched in the 360.

And to compare Live is unfair since Live is a paid service, you'd better damn well expect to get top notch service if youre paying for it. All those things like Ingame XMB and Game invites apparently are coming to PSN for Free.
Sorry, it's fair game the way I (and many others see it). Only difference is Xbox Live is a tried and test formula that works out, while Sony's offering is, in theory, supplying all the Xbox Live Gold benifits for free. Only they say Home will be better then Xbox Live Gold. Their service seems like junk to me because of Sony's track record of promising us something and meeting us half way there. See now, I love Sony televisions, I think their some of the best TVs on the market, but when it comes to gaming, their halfed-ass decisions will eventually catch up to them. I don't think it's justice that PS3 right now is being bought by HD movie consumers then it's supposed core demographic of gamers.
Also on the MGS thing, this is me just kinda thinkin about it since i dont know much on the economic system of the gaming industry, but MGS4 is a 60 dollar game, and the MUST HAVE of the PS3. So i can guarantee that the game will sell over a million and also it will sell the PS3 as well. So wouldnt 1 Million, 60 dollar games turn in more then 10 million?? Just a thought
How do you know it will be a $60 dollar title in an American Econemy that's falling. For all we know it might break 79.99 due to it's development costs. Also factor in Konami doesn't get 100% of the profits. They split it 3 ways with Sony (for licensing fees, publishing, promotion+anything else), Konami (possible DLC, promotion, publishing) and Kojima Productions(possible DLC, development, promotion). We also don't know how much they do split it. There are also factors such as the final cut on how much it was being made for. Gaming companies don't release how much they've spent on developing titles unless they wanted too. I don't know how much their spending on MGS4, I'm just assuming that their spending more then 10 Mill given the time it's taken and the raising developer's cost.