Attention Deficit Disorder - How do you deal with these people.

emsley

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heated, relax it a bit guys..

Peoples views on this sway, they say "Its bullcrap" or "Its a genuine issue."

I think there is enough evidence to suggest that these people are different. But at the same time maybe they just use it as an excuse.

Given enough time You can spot if they are say, Genuine, troubled, or just an asshole...

When an ADD moment comes up, I usually just ask someone to repeat the question. Really, the only problem I have it differentiating several things going on at once, which my friends know so they usually don't bombard me when they see me or I just get really confused.

I think you're talking about ADHD. They tend to be the more aggressive of the two.

I have ADD. I am going to touch base on a few things mentioned.

ADD and ADHD do not exist! If one were to listen to all teachers and doctors, 3/4 of the worlds population has 1 or the other, or both.

You know what DOES exist? A lack of proper stimulation and enough activity in a persons life, especially that of children. MANY "Professionals" such as teachers, blame children's behaviors on these made up disorders, when the fault lies in a lack of many key things that would keep them from having what appears to be the attention span of a hummingbird.

OK... a condition exists, although I am not sold on medication... Here is my deal. When I read something I am not interested in, I tend to forget what I read after I get to the end of the paragraph, as I had other things running through my mind at the same time. I cannot focus sometimes, and it's at it's peak, when I don't care about what I am reading, like American History for instance. When I play Guitar Hero or some other game, I often find myself using too large a percentage of brain power, thinking about something else, and it often flocks me up. But I think the medication is BS for me. I have adapted and do not use the ADD as an excuse. When I cannot focus... I try my best to zone in. LOL... but then I often think, about thinking less, and exchange one train of thought ... for another. So Ill be thinking, about not thinking so much... instead of timing the dragon Punch... hahahahah.

But beyond all of this crap, I have learned to Focus, more intensely than most can anyway. But this is more on the rare side, as I don't need to use it as much. But when I am in the "ZONE" I am really in the zone. I see this look sometimes, like when I watch UFC... Some of the fighters are real focused, moreso than others. It boils down, to control. Can you control yourself? Anyone who acts like an ass, Or whatever your talking about...slapping some girl or whatever and blames it on ADD, is full of crap. Reality is Reality. My world is no different that yours. If someone deserves to get the sh!t knocked out of them... thats that, knock the sh!t out of them.

I think it's been stated already, but just because "professionals" tend to diagnose AD(H)D far more often than they should doesn't mean it doesn't exist. People like to think that some pills after a quick diagnosis, sometimes even just parents assuming their child has AD(H)D, is the cure for their problems, when a disease isn't the source of the issue at all.

At the same time, I'd like to think that a lot of mental "disabilities" don't actually exist, and that there's a mental disability to describe every minor sidestep for "normal" human behavior.

See, I don't think it is a disability either... As I said, for me, it is a blessing. I pay more attention to things most never even notice in the first place. Like what color socks some chick was wearing when I met her. But it really shines through, when I play games. It is not "normal" behavior, but to label it a disability, is BS.

Heated, relax it a bit guys..

Peoples views on this sway, they say "Its bullcrap" or "Its a genuine issue."

I think there is enough evidence to suggest that these people are different. But at the same time maybe they just use it as an excuse.

Given enough time You can spot if they are say, Genuine, troubled, or just an asshole...

BINGO brother... thats the ticket. There is something... but nothing someone cannot handle. They use it as an excuse. My mind often wanders, when I don't want it to. And when this happens, I enhance my focus. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but at least I'm trying. Too many people are just lazy, and use whatever is at hand to use as an excuse.

Side effect???? I talk way way too much!!!! As people who are familiar with me know already. This post here... is more of the same by me. It's as if I must explain exactly what I mean. And this is not a malfunction, and flock any one who says otherwise. ADD? Sure am, what of it?!?!?!

O.K.

This guy is a douche bag. If he needs an ass beating, dole it out. Any excuse for his behavior, is just that .... an excuse. There IS NO EXCUSE for being a douche bag. The only thing this ADD or ADHD will do, is he will remember what you were wearing when you punched him.... lol. Screw his history and whatever!!! If he is hitting some girl, step in.

BUT... it will teach him nothing. I have declined doleing out 2 major ass beatings. One at a bus stop, and another at a pool hall. Why??? because id have wasted my time, and perhaps gone to jail... for nothing. Yur best bet, is to talk to the girl. But she will not listen, she will want to stay with this jerk. Hmmmm maybe then he will get mad at you, and want to fight, bringing it around full circle. Ha...

Remember this. ADD is no excuse for anything, except not being able to focus on something in particular. And ADHD is just ADD, but with a Hyper person... but unless your life is at risk, or something on par with that, There will never be a legitimate excuse to lay a hand on a girl. Plain and simple.

Oh crap... the point. How to deal with it. You gotta make your point of view "real to him" And how he takes it has nothing to do with ADD. Only you can decide the best course of action, because you have to be able to back up, whatever it is you decide on. And each have individual strengths and weaknesses. The only thing that is going to change his ways, is a reality check. And even then, the way he takes it has nothing to do with ADD. Like I said, The ADD, is a farce. It's BS that distracts from the things that matter.

HA... sorry about the long post!

Edited by Belthasar

My opinion about ADD goes the same for OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and most definately RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). I've had people tell me I have RLS and I slap them in the face for creating another retarded syndrome directed towards boredom.

My opinion about ADD goes the same for OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and most definately RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). I've had people tell me I have RLS and I slap them in the face for creating another retarded syndrome directed towards boredom.

OCD is most definitely a real psychiatric disorder. Just because we don't understand them completely doesn't mean they don't exist or are any less of a real disorder. Same goes for ADD and ADHD. There is an underlying neurophysiological basis for them. The nervous system is a highly highly highly complex system so neurotransmitter and hormone imbalances (which most neurological diseases are) aren't the easiest things to study. What makes it worse is that you can't really have a diagnostic test for these problems like an HIV test so all diagnoses are clinical and based on the history. It's all very complex. However, that doesn't mean these diseases are genetically based so they could be (and are) developmental so they could have happened due to poor parenting. Like Cinder said, poor stimulation as a child can lead to these kind of problems. ADHD is also fairly overdiagnosed I think. Doctors diagnose kids with this in a single short visit but I don't think that's the right way to do it. But then again, I'm being fed by the same people that people who don't believe in these disorders distrust so I'm fairly biased.

RLS is thought to be a circadian pattern disorder and most people who say they have this (RLS is a patient reported syndrome) also have periodic limb movement disorder or nocturnal myoclonus. Whether it is it's own syndrome or not or if it's just a manifestation of another problem during sleep I don't know.

But there is medicine for these things and that means CA-CHING which is really all that matters in the end!

I wish I had the time and knowledge to actually discuss these topics in depth but I don't have time and I don't really enjoy neuro enough to spend extra time studying it.

I have "RLS" if you want to get technical. My cure? Melatonin. Started taking 3mg capsules before bed, bingo....no more sporadic leg movements and better sleep.

The RLS diagnosis is overrated and exaggerated, it's nothing more than a simple chemical lacking/overproduction. Melatonin is only produced when you're sleeping, or it's very dark. I don't get enough sleep and I'm constantly saturated by lighting of some kind......duh, go figure!

I was referring to the other RLS where you just happen to be sitting in a chair and your leg bounces at 2346382764893 mph without knowledge of you doing it.

I'm doing it right now.

And my opinion of all those symptoms is associated with societies new need for symptom status. Everyone I know mentions of having either ADD or OCD. Very few I believe. The majority I don't give me the impression that they are crying for attention.

I have "RLS" if you want to get technical. My cure? Melatonin. Started taking 3mg capsules before bed, bingo....no more sporadic leg movements and better sleep.

The RLS diagnosis is overrated and exaggerated, it's nothing more than a simple chemical lacking/overproduction. Melatonin is only produced when you're sleeping, or it's very dark. I don't get enough sleep and I'm constantly saturated by lighting of some kind......duh, go figure!

Melatonin is one of those good supplements. It seems to have little to no side effects. Melatonin agonists are one of the main focuses for the next generation of sleep medicines. But yeah, one of the main circadian rhythm problems is an offsetting because of the light differences causing an imbalance in melatonin and serotonin. None of the current RLS drugs use melatonin.

I was referring to the other RLS where you just happen to be sitting in a chair and your leg bounces at 2346382764893 mph without knowledge of you doing it.

I'm doing it right now.

And my opinion of all those symptoms is associated with societies new need for symptom status. Everyone I know mentions of having either ADD or OCD. Very few I believe. The majority I don't give me the impression that they are crying for attention.

Aahh ok. I have no clue what that is but if a leg bounces really fast without knowledge of doing it then that's not good either. Unless your bouncing along to music then it's OK because I do it all the time. I do it in class too and I keep my right leg propped on my left so everyone behind me can see my right foot just bouncing along all class.

But yeah, you can't really trust people's opinion on what they have. I think I have schizoid personality disorder but if I go through a mental status exam I doubt I will be diagnosed with one. Asperger's is another thing I see people like to self diagnose themselves with on the Internet. Kind of gives them a reason to be an asshole who doesn't get people. But yeah, a lot of people will claim to have this kind of crap for attention.