FBA-XXX Pro Question - Cleaning the ROMSET

Guys,

I am in a process of cleaning my FBA-XXX Rom Set.

There are many different versions of each game and I am not sure

what they are exactly.

What means the following:

- (Set 1)

- (Set 2)

- Decrypted

- Not Encrypted

- Bootleg

For example:

mslug4.zip

mslug4nd.zip

ms4boot.zip

ms4plus.zip

Which is which? And what should I keep to just play Metal SLug 4?

My vote goes for: mslug4.zip --- the larger Kb file, correct?

Cospefogo.

The graphics for newer Neo-Geo games are encrypted, this is what makes some games take soo long to load. Not encrypted & bootleg are proper sets.

(Set 1) sets are usually the original MVS arcade dumps of the game whereas (Set 2) sets are often AES home or alternate dumps though this is not always the case and it does vary from set to set. Generally if you're only going to keep one ROMset then (Set 1) is probably the one to go for.

Decrypted ROMsets are sets that contain pre-decrypted graphics ROMs. This means the emulator does not have to decrypt them during loading which significantly reduces load time compared with the original encrypted parent sets. The other benefit of these sets is that decrypted ROMs compress much better than encrypted ones so your zipped ROMset will take up less space.

So to answer your question; to just play Metal Slug 4 you're probably better off using mslug4d.zip unless you don't mind the extra loading time and larger filesize for the sake of using the original unmodified gfx ROMs.

Bootlegs are ROMsets dumped from unofficial boards that often have protections removed or sometimes unique protections of their own. In most cases the game itself plays the same unless you're using a hacked bootleg like ms4plus.zip which adds extra 'features' to the game.

Hope this helps.

Edited by + T +

(...) The other benefit of these sets is that decrypted ROMs compress much better than encrypted ones so your zipped ROMset will take up less space. (...)

Wonderful!

I was really intrigued about the smaller ROM size of the decrypted sets.

Everything is clear as crystal now.

Thank you very much for your attention on this, guys.

Way to go!

(c:

Regards,

Cospefogo.

Updating:

All the games that have decrypted version MUST HAVE their parent present

in the romset. You can't - for example - delete mslug4.zip and keep only mslug4d.zip.

It will not work. You need to keep both files and there is no escape of having

both names in the romlist display screen - the regular game and the decrypted one.

That's it!

Cheers,

Cospefogo.

All you need to do is add the missing ROMs from the parent set to the decrypted set.

Alternatively, if you use RomCenter you can go into preferences and set the ROM structure to 'All ROMs in both sets' and this will create these sets for you.

I only use decrypted sets myself and I have no encrypted parents in my game list.

Edited by + T +

All you need to do is add the missing ROMs from the parent set to the decrypted set.

Alternatively, if you use RomCenter you can go into preferences and set the ROM structure to 'All ROMs in both sets' and this will create these sets for you.

I only use decrypted sets myself and I have no encrypted parents in my game list.

Oh.

Those were the words from the boss!

Deep inside my mind I thought about merging the roms but

was not sure if it was possible.

Now guys, you ca see it is absolutely feasible!

As always, thanks + T +.

Cospefogo.