are mod chips illegal?

scully69

is it actully illegal to mod your xbox? although i dont condone piracy i do have a modded xbox and modded it at my own risk,to play back ups and imports and the likes so these chips xcutter i have are available easly so even though you understand installing one fails your gurantee is it acutly illegal to chip your own box ?your own property

any links as to these being illegal

many thanks

is it actully illegal to mod your xbox? although i dont condone piracy i do have a modded xbox and modded it at my own risk,to play back ups and imports and the likes so these chips xcutter i have are available easly so even though you understand installing one fails your gurantee is it acutly illegal to chip your own box ?your own property

any links as to these being illegal

many thanks

It depends on where you live. Certain countries, Canada, for example, have extremely lax laws on hardware modifications -- it's your hardware, you can do with it what you want.

Generally, though, it is illegal to use mod-chips as they "bypass copy protections" a violation of the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) which many countries/regions have a version of.

Afaik though, mod-chips without the software included to actually bypass copy protections are legally in a gray area.

i dont wish to play copies i just want to know if actuly owning a chipped console is illegal

Always, yes. You are violating the EULA of the hardware vendor by installing unlicensed modifications to it.

Will this get you jailed? No. Sued, it's very unlikely. Making money by modding other people's hardware can very well get you raided by the FBI.

the chip itself isn't the problem. its the modified bios that is the real problem, illegal no matter what way you spin it.

you damn lawbreakers :)

In Australia it is legal if the intent is to get around region restrictions. But not legal if you intend piracy.

Region restrictions have no legal standing here, and may be freely circumvented.

However, breaking the EULA is not legal. Though it's not like any company would do sh*t about it.

In any country (Bar possibly the severely unfree USA of late) liscence agreements on hardware you OWN have no legal leg to stand on simply based on the fact that a tangible item you purchase in a retail setting and are not RENTING/BORROWING can not have imposed limitations on what you may do with said item within the scope of the law. (ie; you obviously can't buy a PS2, and turn it into a makeshift pipe bomb)

Then theres the issue of privacy. No company can tell me I can't turn their item, into another item, unless I'm reselling this modified item. Doing so at a personal level, is invasion of privacy in it's most basic form.

ie; I can turn my Xbox into a toaster if I want....GTFO.